Search for content in message boards

John "Uncle Jackie" Berry

John "Uncle Jackie" Berry

Posted: 1358222119000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1358222766000
Surnames: Berry
I realize that several people have been stuck on this particular man for a number of years now. Since I haven't seen anything on him here in the message boards in a while, I thought that I would retouch on the subject.

John "Uncle Jackie" Berry was born August 20, 1794 in Port William, Kentucky. He lived to be 103 years old, and fathered 21 children by two wives. He first married Elizabeth Melton, who was born October 18, 1806 in Rutherford Co., North Carolina. They married October 27, 1826 in Fayette Co., Illinois. Their first child was William Kendall Berry born 1828 in Fayette Co., Illinois.

After that, they moved to Missouri, living a short time in Phelps and Crawford Co., Missouri before eventually settling in Dent Co., Missouri.

The rest of the children by Elizabeth were,

John Henry
Martin Henry
James Hamilton
Rebecca Elizabeth
Amos Ery
Francis Marion
Cynthia Anne
Silas Asa
Loucasta Rebecca
David Arcadia
Elizabeth
Jemima Angeline
Enoch Ebenezer
Jackie Jr.

Elizabeth Melton died August 29, 1865 in Dent Co., Missouri. After which, John married a widow Rebecca Lucinda Creasey York, born January 21, 1823 in Tennessee.

They had an additional six children, who were,

Martha Jane
Joseph George Washington
Mary Ellen
Calvin Theodore
Andrew Jackson
Pacific

John "Uncle Jacke" Berry died January 7, 1898 in Salem, Dent Co., Missouri at the age of 103.

From what I understand, no one has found out who his parents were. There is some speculation that his father was also born in Kentucky in 1769 and his mother's name is Rebecca born 1774 in Germany. But I am not so sure that that information is even correct.

I suspect that John and Elizabeth gave their first born William a surname as a middle name "Kendall". I was thinking that either John's mother or grandmother was a Kendall. Does anyone else have any similar suspicions?

Has anyone out there gotten any further with John Berry? Is anyone out there willing to compare suspicions or notes?

Re: John "Uncle Jackie" Berry

Posted: 1358313990000
Donna, I am decended from William Kendall Berry thru his son George Washington Berry who married Mary Elizabeth Frazier. They were the parents of Bertha Frances Berry who married Miles Roberds Gifford. My mother was Annie Maxine Gifford and she said her mother, Bertha always said the Berrys were black Dutch which I have been told means they were German. I have been unable to trace them back further than John who was born in Kentucky either. Who are you decended from? You can reach me direct at mbirge@att.net

Posted: 1358361179000
Hi Mary,

I'm sorry, I should have made it clear who I was. Donna is my mother, my name is Stephanie, she is letting me use her account to do research. But, we are descended from William Kendall Berry through his son John Canar Berry, who married Matilda Susan Holloway. They are the parents of Edward Clifford Berry who married Della Pearl Yochum. Edward and Della were my great-grandparents. Can't say that I have heard the term "black dutch" before. Thanks for that, I will have to look into it.

Posted: 1358398108000
Well, I did a little bit of research on the "black dutch" story. Apparently, Melungeons often called themselves "black dutch" to avoid being removed to Indian Territory in the 1800's. The Melungeons were of mixed race, usually a combination of African American, Native American and European, with possible Mediterranean ancestry. I can't say for sure, but maybe John Berry was descended from Melungeons, especially since Melungeons were mainly found in eastern Kentucky, western Virginia, Tennesse as well as North Carolina. Unfortunately, I would not know where to start on that ancestry. Perhaps, someone has some suggestions?

Posted: 1566438820000
Hi all! I have no idea which Berry I descend from..but I have photos from the 1800s of my Native American ancestors, my great grandmother per my dad and he swears she was full blooded Cherokee. My grandfather was Clyde Earley Berry, have not been able to find him in any census except for 1940 Madison County Alabama...where he is listed as a son of John W Berry and Alta Berry. Clyde (my grandpa) age 22. My Great Uncle Claud age 11, Uncle Carl age 9 and my uncle Jessie Roy age 4. If anyone knows anything at all, I’d really appreciate any help in tracking down our lineage. Thank you!

Posted: 1566439182000
Also, my father and grandpa lived in New Market/Huntsville Alabama..we have a Berry Cemetery there but my father says we have family in Tennessee and Illinois too? He remembers his uncle or grandpa used to be called “Doc” and an Uncle Andrew and Aunt Lula or Lulu Bailey that were related to his father I believe. My father was barely 4 when his grandparents passed away. I’ll have to ask again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic