Search for content in message boards

Would a 1923 death certificate list mothers name?

Would a 1923 death certificate list mothers name?

Posted: 1570344835000
Classification: Query
I am trying to discover the maiden name of my 2 great grandmothers mother. My 2 great grandmother died in Camberwell, London in 1923.

Would her death record have her mother's maiden name on it?

Thank you.

Stumped in the USA

Neil

Re: Would a 1923 death certificate list mothers name?

Posted: 1570356271000
Not usually, and of course death certs are the only ones where the info is not given by the person themselves.

There are many other ways to find out a maiden or mothers name.

If you give us some info,names dates and places we'll try and help.

The official GRO site now has mother's maiden names on all indexes from the start of registration (1837) and censuses every 10 years from 1841 onwards are also very useful.

Posted: 1570378929000
Edited: 1570379350000
Thank you.

The person whose mother's maiden name I would like to find is Catharine Burke Grigson who died in Camberwell, London in the 2nd quarter of 1923 (April, May, or June) and the source is England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007.

Catharine was born in 1831 and baptised 29 June 1831 at St Mary's in Catham, Kent and the parents were Edmund Burke and Mary Ann of unknown maiden name. Mary Ann's maiden name is the object of my search.

It will be hard to find a marriage as the first recorded child for Edmund and Mary Ann is in 1827 in Madras, India as Edmund was a sargeant in the army and is recorded as being in many campaigns and was all over the Empire. He himself was born in 1794 in Jamiaca. He and Catharine returned (?) to Catham about 1830 as the records show he was invalided (Is that a word?) and as far as I know remained there.

That is why I was hoping Catharine's 1923 death certificate would have mother's maiden name.

I can send you more data on father in India and Burma in the 20's and 30's but did not want to overwhelm you.

Thank you very much.

Neil in the USA

Posted: 1570384941000
Classification: Birth
Edited: 1570400770000
She was born in Chatham but registered under the GRO Regimental Birth Indexes,you may be able to get a copy.

See ..https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

First name(s) Catherine
Last name Burke
Sex Female
Birth year 1831
Place Chatham
Country England
Regiment 41St Foot
Organisation Armed Forces
Source Gro Regimental Birth Indices (1761 To 1924)
Archive
General Register Office
Archive reference REG1
Record's year range 1831
Page 2
Volume 1324
Line number 11
Record set British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Civil Births
Collections from Great Britain, England

Posted: 1570390967000
But it would not list her mother's maiden name, correct?

Posted: 1570398463000
I would have thought that all birth certs would show the parents names,including the mothers maiden name?

Why not email the GRO as given to you on my previous reply to ask what info British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms show from 1831?

And how much the cert would costs to obtain.

Carol

Posted: 1570809873000
Dear Carol,

I DID e mail the GRO with the following question and received the following answer:

I would like to order the birth record of my 5th great grandmother born in Kent in 1831. While most parish baptisms do not carry the maiden name of the mother, would her birth record have the maiden name of her mother since she was registered under the GRO Regimental Birth Indexes? What info would British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms show from 1831?

In case you need it the person in question is:

data entered with GRo Registrationnumber...

So prior to ordering would this record list her mother's maiden name?

The following answer came today:

"Dear Neil,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The records we hold at General Register Office relate to births, marriages and deaths which have been registered in England and Wales since 1st July 1837. For more information visit: GOV.UK

The main source for records of life events before 1837, such as baptisms, marriages and burials, are parish registers and records of other faiths see National Archives
To continue researching prior to 1837, you may wish to consult a professional genealogist or genealogical records agent. For more details see Society of Genealogists.
Good luck with your research.

Regards"

Should I take from this that the GRO regimental births prior to 1837(mine is 1831) are not actually kept at this office?

Thank you.

Posted: 1570810425000
The info about the indexes says......(see below where it tells you that "The details found in the GRO indexes will allow you to purchase the original certificate from the General Register Office." ) So why can't they provide the cert,with all the correct details from the index?

The British armed forces and overseas births and baptisms pulls together records from the General Register Office (GRO) and The National Archive (TNA) to create one expansive collection. Below we have provided a full list of sources including the archive and series information. Within the collection, you will find birth records from families of military personnel, British Consul staff, and British nationals working overseas, as well as, individuals born at sea. The details found in the GRO indexes will allow you to purchase the original certificate from the General Register Office.

If you have a relative or ancestor who was born overseas but was still classed as a British citizen at the time of the birth, then it is quite possible that the British Consul or the UK High Commission in the relevant jurisdiction would have been notified of the birth, allowing you to find the record within the General Register Office Consular indices.

The armed forces records include the registrations of British armed forces (including serving members who were not British nationals) posted overseas. This index also includes some regimental registers and chaplains' returns for army births which took place in the British Isles, for example, at barracks and garrisons.

The records include births of the children of passengers, seamen, and Royal Marines, of both British and other nationalities. Some of the records contain notes about conditions surrounding the birth, such as premature confinement, if the child was stillborn, or if the mother was unmarried.

Most of the records found in this collection were previously available as separate record sets on Findmypast as British nationals born overseas 1818-2005, British nationals armed forces births 1761-2005, and Births at sea, 1854-1960. We have combined the various record sets and added additional records from The National Archives to create this extensive collection.

Posted: 1571677087000
Edited: 1571686429000
Hello Neil,

This was a little hard to trace, but I may/may not have something for you to follow:
Have a look at this; it is a marriage, but the name of the person he married is uncertain and given are four possible names: Only one is a Catherine and maiden name is Hewit (note only one T).

England & Wales marriages 1837-2008
First Name Catharine
Last Name Hewit
Gender Female
Year 1838
Spouse
Image Quarter 3
Country England
County London
District East London
District Number
Registry Number
Volume 2
Page 171
Line Number 61
Entry Number
Category Births, Marriages & Deaths
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005
Collections from Great Britain, England

You may wish to send for the Marriage Certificate. It really is the only way to confirm or exclude the person.

I can understand you not wishing to bombard helpers with information, but did they have a son born in India named Edward?

Keeping to specifics is a good way to go - helpers can then ask questions and if sensible will not bombard you back!!

Good luck
mj7777

Posted: 1571684057000
Edited: 1571684276000
Have I missed something here?

Neil is looking for the maiden name of Catherine Burke's mum, who was born in Chatham in 1831, why would an 1838 marriage of a Catherine Hewit help?

According to ANCESTRY the marriage is here...he married Catherine Hurley.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=1623&...

And Edmund was a mariner, not in the navy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic