Talk:World Archives Project: Valuation Registers Perth, Scotland
Common Errors Seen
Below is a list of common errors seen in the Perth Valuations project. Please refer to this list after reading the main Wiki page and the Perth Hints File.
Keying People, not Businesses or Properties
Perth Valuations will be an index of proprietor and tenant names only, not the properties. Any extra information will be able to be seen by the researcher when he/she views the image.
- Therefore, do not key descriptions such as 'Trustees of' or 'Heirs of'
- Please do not key proprietor company names, please key the proprietor fields as blank. If the company has no named tenant please ignore this line in the image.
- An exception to the above is where a named individual is included in the company name, for example Harris and Co. In this instance please key Harris in the surname field.
- If a person is described as 'Of Somewhere' please key only the persons name.
- Do not key tenant entries such 'under £4.'
- Tenant occupations should not be keyed
- Be careful of misreading the occupation 'joiner' as 'junior'
- If an entry shows 'per someone' this name is not keyed as they represent a company working for the proprietor.
General Image Information
- Header years should always be expanded to four digits - both years must be keyed.
- eg: '1867-68' is keyed as '1867-1868'
- Each image nearly always consists of two pages. Both pages should be keyed with a new section for the second page of the image.
- Many of the images have crossed out data. Please be aware that general keying standards state: "If information is crossed out without being replaced, key the crossed-out information. Otherwise, key the replacement information."
Adapted from message posts by s2tree and pbridle3.