Talk:World Archives Project: USHMM - Kraków, Poland, ID Card Applications for Jews During WWII, 1940-1941 (Part 7)
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.) For instructions on posting a message on the wiki refer to this article.
Extra Keying Helps
Marital Status in Polish
stan cywilny (marital status)
kawaler, panna, wolny, wolna (single)
żonaty, mężatka (married)
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Reviewers: Please list common errors, so keyers may improve. Thank you. -Rebecca 8 May 2014
Some keyers use period/full stop (.) We do not use. Just lieave an empty space.
Special charcters are not being used or keyers use special characters not found in the Polish or German lanugage.
keyers mix up the population page one with citizens questionaire.
parents names are not keyed.
Population page 1 childrens (dieczi) names date and place of birth are not entered.
Many errors culd be avoided if keyers would refer to the examples on the wiki.
It is not an easy project because of the different form types. I do not speak, read or write polish, but with consulting the wiki very closely and referring to guides and practice it is possible to become excellent at keying this project. I also have google translate open all the time and refer items that I am not sure about.
I have noticed that some keyers have become very good.
Questions and Answers
1. re: Population Card Page 1. According to the instruction surnames for Father & Mother to Head can be foud in the row labeled "Imiona rodzicow;" in the column labeled "Mezczyzna." This field contains both parents' given names but not both parents' surnames only woman's maiden name (nazwisko panieńskie). What should we enter in the surname field for Father to Head? Should we mark it blank? This question applies to Father & Mother to Spouse as well. And what about children's surnames? There're not listed anywhere as well. mieszkow'
2. re: Krakow Street Names.
2. Is there a listing of street names for Krawkow which I can check for accuracy. Since the handwriting is not allways easy to read, it would be nice to have something to refer to. The Street Address field does not auto-populate suggestions like the Surname or Given fields do.
I use the following link for Krakow Streets http://www.mapofpoland.net/Krakow,map.html#photos
3. Population Card Page 1 question- Since the whole document is in Polish, shouldn't we be keying birth months also in Polish? The directions for Population card Page 1 only give German months. -Rebecca 15 April 2014
- A: Rebecca, We typically state what language to key the months but since there isn't it should be keyed with the standard English 3 letter abbreviation. (We will normalize all of the entries so the most important thing is to get the correct month, regardless of language or abbreviations.)Annafechter 18:34, 29 April 2014 (UTC)
4. Q: I have a Karta Wymeldowania which I am presuming is a Residential Questionnaire. It details a Catholic family moving from Krakow to Warsaw. Do I create two records one showing their move from the ghetto area address and one for their new Warsaw address.
- A: No, key them only once with the first address that is noted on the record.
5. Q: Similarly to question 1, I have a parents names field showing only given names no surnames. do you want me to create a new record for each parent?
- A: If you can determine that the individual is a male you can copy down the surname. If you can determine that the individual is a female and a maiden name is given (which makes it easier to determine gender) that can be copied down as the father/mother surname.
5a. Q: Wouldn't this be inferring information if we copied down the surname for father and mother of head (or of any children listed) when it is not on the document? I have seen many times in keying some of these records that last names within a family differ (ritual marriages not recognized as official marriages, etc.) -Rebecca 29 April 2014
- A: Yes, you would be inferring the surname and this is the most common instance where contributors do not key as seen.
Annafechter 21:05, 12 June 2014 (UTC)
6. According to wiki instructions for keying addresses, it says to only key street name and number. So am I understanding correctly that we ignore the wohnung number? For example, key Pędzichów 13, NOT Pędzichów 13/15 Rebecca 11 Aug 2014
- A: If the address is listed as Pędzichów 13/15 that is what you would enter in the Street Address field. I will have the instructions updated to be more clear of what should be keyed and how. Annafechter 01:14, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.