Spanish American War Veteran's Compensation File. Department of Military and Veteran's Affairs, Record Group 19. Pennsylvania State Archives, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
This database contains applications for compensation for soldiers from Pennsylvania who served in WWI and other conflicts around the turn of the century.
The Pennsylvania Veterans’ Compensation Act of 1934 authorized payments to veterans who had given Pennsylvania or anyplace in the Commonwealth as their place of residence at the time they entered the service and who had served in at least one of the following conflicts:
- World War I
- Spanish-American War
- China Relief Expedition or the occupation of the Philippines or Guam from 1898 to 1902
Veterans’ widows or children were also eligible to receive the benefit.
The records in this database include Veterans Compensation Applications and other documents related to these pensions assembled by the State Adjutant General’s office. Forms vary, but they may list
- pension number/serial number
- address when entered the service
- current address
- enlistment details
- place of birth
- date of birth
- names and addresses of dependents: wife, minor children
- mother’s name
- father’s name
- units and dates of service
- military engagements
- dates of service overseas
- discharge date/details
- witness for identification