About this collection
This collection contains records and transcripts from numerous Catholic parishes in the Austrian federated state of Upper Austria covering the years 1614 up to and including 1938.
The state capital of Upper Austria (Oberösterreich) is Linz. Upper Austria is geographically the fourth largest state and the third most populated. It borders the German state of Bavaria to the northwest and the Czech Republic to the north. Upper Austria is one of the historical "core countries" of Austria and was part of the hereditary lands of the House of Habsburg.
The oldest church records in this collection date from the 17th century. Some registers date to the beginning of, or just before, the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648). These parish records primarily contain information about births and baptisms, marriages, and deaths and burials. The time periods covered by individual records sets vary.
What you can find in the records
In early Church registers, the records are largely written in Latin. Later records were kept in German. Depending on the time period and on the individual formulations used, you may generally find the following details in these records:
- Child: Given Names, Birthdate, Baptism, Witnesses
- Parents: Given Names, Mother's Maiden Name, Parents' residence
- Groom: Given Names, Last Name, Residence/Birthplace, Age, Parents' Details
- Bride: Given Names, Last Name, Maiden Name, Residence/Birthplace, Age, Parents' Details
- Date and Place of Wedding
- Deceased: Given Names, Last Name, Maiden Name, Age, Spouse/Parents, Death Date, Deathplace, Burial Date and Place
More about using this collection
Under "Browse this collection,” select the pertinent Parish or Church, then from the Description list choose the type of book or register desired. The sequence of birth, marriage or death records in the Church registers may not be consistent. Some congregations may have a separate register for each type of event (Birth, Marriage, Death) whereas others may record all events together chronologically in a single book.