Alexander Thom published the first Thom’s Irish Almanac and Official Directory in 1844. Over the next one hundred years, it grew to include a Dublin street directory, volumes listing the names, addresses, and occupations for residents of other towns and districts in the country, and a wide variety of happenings, institutions, businesses, and departments for Ireland and the UK, including the following:
- County fairs and markets in Ireland
- Parliamentarian directories
- Civil service and law directories for Great Britain
- Navy, army, and militia directories
- Colonial directories
- Universities, colleges, schools
- Churches and ecclesiastical directories
- County and borough directories
- Postal directory
Within the collection, you will be able to find names, places and dates of residence and often an occupation is given as well.
Mar 2020: Added additional indexes and images for two additional directories for 1836 and 1838. We have also added additional indexes to live images.