Index provided by Library and Archives Canada.
- Neilson collection, Records of James Allison, Emigrant Agent at Montreal, 1823-1849. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada, n.d. MG 24, B1 vols. 21 and 22. Microfilm Reel C-15773.
- Names of Orphan Children, 1847. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada, n.d. RG 4, C1, vol. 204, file 3036. Microfilm Reel H-2487.
This database contains various records and reports of Canadian emigration agents James Allison and A.J. Buchanan.
The records of James Allison are part of a larger collection called the “Nielson Collection”. The records of James Allison and A.J. Buchanan are both kept at Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa, Canada.
Records of James Allison:
The records of James Allison consist of:
- Copy of a petition of the inhabitants of Montreal re appointment of James Allison as Emigrant Agent
- Copy of a memorial from James Allison applying for six hundred to one thousand acres of land, 29 Sept 1823
- Letter from A.W. Cochran to James Allison, Quebec, 29 Dec 1823
- Letter from A.W. Cochran to James Allison, Quebec, 17 Jan 1824
- Letter from James Allison to A.Ls Montizambert, Montreal, 14 Jun 1824
- Letter from Ls Montizambert to James Allison, Quebec, 21 Jun 1824
- Circular letter from James Allison, Montreal, 1 Nov 1830
- Letter from Cleghorn, Wm. to James Allison, Montreal, 25 Jul 1833
- Memoir from James Allison to Sir Joseph de C. Loffan, 1 Nov 1841
- Copy of a petition from James Allison to Sir Charles Poulett Thomason, n.d.
- Letter from - Elliot to James Allison, Westminster, 14 Jan 1843
- Letter from J.M. Higginson to James Allison, Montreal, Kingston, 12 Feb 1844
- Letter from C.J. Forbes to James Allison, Carillon, 3 Jun 1845
- Copy of correspondence with the Governor re John Johnson, 1823
- James Allison’s report on immigration, 1840-1845
- James Allison’s annual report for the year 1843
- List of names of emigrants who proceeded to Bytown, 1847
- Copy of an investigation made by G.W. Wickstead re conduct of James Allison
- Correspondence from and to James Allison re Immigration 1844-1846
- Correspondence from and to James Allison, Emigrant Agent, Montreal re Immigration, 1846-1849
About 75 pages of this collection consist of lists naming emigrants. These lists have been indexed and are searchable by name in this database. In addition to their name other information that may be listed about the emigrants includes:
- Date of ticket
- Number of adults, children, and infants in party
Records of A.J. Buchanan:
The records of A.J. Buchanan are dated from 1847 and consist of:
- Semi monthly return of Roman Catholic orphan children in charge of the archbishop of Quebec
- Names of orphan children entrusted to the care of the Ladies of the good Pastor, Montreal
- Names of orphan children in charge of the Bishop of Montreal
- List of orphans given in charge and disposed of by the Archbishop of Quebec
- List of orphans sent to and given by the Rev. P. McMahon
- Return of orphan children in charge of the Montreal Protestant Orphan Asylum
- Semi-monthly return of orphan children in charge of the Bishop of Montreal
Each of these orphan lists have been indexed and are searchable by name in this database. Information that may be listed on the records regarding the orphans includes:
- Date of admission
- Whether boy or girl
- State of health
- Date of death
- Names of adoptive parents
- Arrival date
- Name of ship arrived on