Search for content in message boards

Trombley/Trombly

Trombley/Trombly

Posted: 1307464131000
Classification: Query
Looking for information on a Peter Trombley's parents. Born: Mar 1836 in either Michigan or Vermont (census states both). Parents Wilnar Trombley and Mary Elor. Born in either Canada or Maine (census states both). Peter did live in Michigan up until around 1900. His wife Sophia Snay died about 1900. We believe in Michigan. Peter than moved to Washington - Whatcom county where he died March 28, 1918.

Your help on moving this search forward is most appreciated!
Lori

Re: Trombley/Trombly

Posted: 1307468270000
Is there some reason you're posting on the Clinton, New York board? You don't mention a connection any of these individuals have to New York. I see many other locations, but not New York.

It helps to list all family members when sorting out French Canadian families. There are plenty of like-named individuals, finding the correct line involves finding the documentation and researching the entire family. In this case a marriage record in Michigan should researched. Most likely is would be in a church register.

This is the family, correct?

Do you know if this was Peter's first marriage? The jump in the birth years between the 2nd and 3rd child listed on this census merits further investigation.

Have you found a marriage record for Peter and Sophie? It would appear they were married in Michigan.

1880 United States Federal Census

Name: Peter Trombly
Home in 1880: Gilford, Tuscola, Michigan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Birthplace: Michigan
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's Name: Sophia Trombly
Father's birthplace: Canada
Mother's birthplace: Canada
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Married
Race: White

Household Members:
Name Age
Peter Trombly 43
Sophia Trombly 33
Josephine Trombly 16
Henry Trombly 15
Matilda Trombly 10
Albert Trombly 8
Frank Trombly 6
Eli Trombly 2

Posted: 1307469120000
Yes this is them...Thank you! Didn't realize I was posting to a specific site. Sorry newbie mistake. The only thing we have to go on for Peter's family would be his death record states Father: Wilnar Trombley Mother: Mary Elor. Some census records show them as born in Canada and others in Maine. You seem to have a lot of knowledge of how to research. Any suggestion would not only be welcomed. But very much appreciated.

Lori

Posted: 1307471327000
This is not a specific site, it's a message board on the Ancestry.com (and alternatively rootsweb.com) website.

There are 100's of message boards. Maybe a bit of time reading Board Faqs and searching around the message board will help you use it more effectively. Some of this is just practicing to learn better skills.

In terms of your search, (and your tree which I looked at). Since you're a newbie, the first thing to learn early on, and you'll be happy about in the future that you did, is to not copy from other trees. Key in all your data. Other trees can have clues, but it's up to you to evaluate the validity. Keying in your data slows you down, and genealogy is a slow, thoughtful process.

All documentation is not on-line. The best thing you can do is read a "how to genealogy", either a book, or google, there are some good sites (including Ancestry.com Learning Center) that can teach you basics about research sources.

I understand you found the death record for Peter Twombly, that's good, however, data on a death record is only as good as the informants' knowledge and memory of the deceased, it's considered a secondary source. A primary source would be a marriage record, he would have given the info himself, marriage records typically list the parents.

How to find the marriage record?

Follow the bride, find where the bride's family was living at around the time of marriage, and start there.

Also, researching the baptismal records of their children can lead you to the where they might have been married.

The census helps you locate where to start looking.

I tend to lean towards trusting earlier census data, ie the place of birth. Fresher memories.

When you get into this time period and backwards, the civil records are scant. If you aren't familiar with how to use the site familysearch.org, you'll want to spend time there as well. If you've never been to a Family History Center, you find info on the site about how get film sent to your local FHC and research there.

Posted: 1307471547000
You are Awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. You are so right about copying the tree's. Sometimes the data is completely wrong. Other times half truths. I will take all of your advice and start with following the marriage.

Thank you again.

Lori

Posted: 1307473545000
Just found a Family Search Center right down the street from my house. Can't say Thank You enough.

Blessings,

Lori

Posted: 1309112174000
ANY RELATIONSHIP- MARIE JOSEPHE TREMBLEY-1793-1921- WHO WAS MARRIED TO RENE DUPUIS 1791---- HAD A DAUGHTER MARIE LISA DUPUIS ???

Posted: 1309132339000
I'm not sure only able to track back to Peter Trombley 1836. His father's name is listed as Willnar Trombley abt 1813.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic