Search for content in message boards

Francis, Daniel, John Brown - Brothers in the Mormon Battalion

Francis, Daniel, John Brown - Brothers in the Mormon Battalion

Posted: 984179359000
Edited: 1133476328000
Francis (Co. B) married to an Indian girl named Magell Mancheeta. Children were George Washington Brown, Ellen Brown, and Mamie Brown. Magell died while giving birth to Mamie in St. George, Utah. Mamie was given to a family living in St. George. Francis was buried in an avalanche in Cottonwood Canyon, Utah on Dec. 26 1872 and was not found until the snow melted around June of 1873, Daniel Brown (Co. E) was married to Harriet St. Johns who traveled with the battalion. Her father, Stephen St. Johns, was also in Co. E of the battalion. Daniel is buried in the Watsonville, California Pioneer Cemetary along with his mother, Mary Ann (McQuade) Brown and a Joseph Brown. I haven't been able to link Joseph with the three brothers yet. John was in Co. C and is buried in the Leeds, Utah Cemetary with his wife. The Headstone doesn't list her name. Francis and Magell are my third great grand parents and I need info about Magell. I know that Francis' father is Francis Brown of Ridgeway, Orleans, New York. He was born about 1803. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Francis, Daniel, John Brown - Brothers in the Mormon Battalion

Posted: 1046308476000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown, Magell
I am also looking for information re: Mancheeta Magell, Mcgill, Magall, Magill. I have the same info. as you have except for the info on the brothers. My Husband and I are 4th cousins. My maiden name was Fulton and my 4th cousin married his 4th cousin. My Husbands name is Thomas Donald Meggerson. Mancheeta and Francis Brown are our gggrandparents. George Washington Brown was our ggrandfather, and Milissa Brown was my Husbands Grandmother, she married Thomas Meggeson and they had a son Thomas Meggeson (Meggerson). I was given the name of Mancheeta Magill at an Indian ceremony in Oreg. by Chief William Depoe of the Siletz Indians. I hope some of this info. will help in your search. It sounds to me like we are all looking for the same stuff. I am trying to find out Mancheetas Indian Name. Also did you know that Mancheeta was an Amah Mutsun Indian and that we have papers re: that and that we are members of the tribe? If you need this info. I will be more than happy to supply this info. to you. It might be to your benifit to join the tribe as they are in the process of being federally recognized. Thanks for your reply. Janet Meggerson

Posted: 1091117604000
Edited: 1111773733000
Hi~ I am interested in the indian heritage papers that you have. Could you please E Mail me at BarbieJHz@aol.com Thank you in advance!

Posted: 1097439519000
Edited: 1160689379000
I am interested in Daniel L. Brown (1822-1899) who was a Pvt. in the Iowa Volunteers, Mormon Battalion, Company E. Believe he was the stepson of my g.g. grandmother, Mary Quade Brown (1807-1882) late of Niagara County, New York. Joseph Brown whom you mention, was the youngest son of Mary Quade Brown. My g. grandmother was Eunice Brown-Hushbeck (1832-1889), whom I believe was a half sister to Daniel L. Brown and a full sister to Joseph Brown.

Information I have is that Mary Quade (McQuade) was from Ransomville, NY and married a John Brown, perhaps in Canada. John Brown appears to have been married to more than one woman ... but evidence is circumstantial and unproven. I don't believe that Mary Quade Brown was the mother of Daniel ... she came from Ireland in 1823 with her family and she would have been a little too young to be the mother of Daniel L. Brown. Not impossible but highly unlikely. If interested, I have a photo of Daniel Brown taken just before his death.

Joseph Brown, as a child came with the Hushbeck-Brown family via the Oregon Trail in 1853 to Cloverdale, OR didn't like the weather so moved south to near Stockton, CA and then to the Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA) in 1856. I know part of the Brown family were members of the LDS church.

Please advise if interested or you have further information. I have more Brown information.

Posted: 1301845370000
Surnames: McGill Mancheeta, Francis Brown - Indian Tribal Documents
I don't know if you are still available, but my husband was the 3rd great grandson of McGill Mancheeta and Francis Brown. We have been to her grave in Leeds, Utah. I am interested in the tribal documents that you mentioned in your email. I have 5 children and 6 grandchildren and would love to share these with them. My husband passed away last August. We went to the new Mormon Batallion visitors center in San Diego in June before he died and we often talked about Francis and McGill. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Ferrin

Posted: 1314379346000
Surnames: Brown
Daniel Brown was the son of Francis and Abigail Edmonds. Abigail died in New York in 1823. Francis married Mary Quade in 1825. They had several children. Francis and Abigail had a son before Daniel named John. Daniel and John were voth born in Canada, Lower Salt Fleet. I have quite a bit of information on Francis that I could give you. He did die in 1838 after being driven fron Dewitt Missouri in the Mormon persecutions. My email is different than what will appear here. It is CindyFuit@gmail.com. I have written a story on the Brown family if you are interested from the information I have collected.

Posted: 1314379777000
I have done quite a bit of research on the Browns. Francis Sr. was first married to ABigail Edmonds. They had two sons who were both born in Canada. John and Daniel. Abigail died in 1825. Francis remarried Mary Ann Quade and they had several children, Francis and Joseph among them. I have written a story about the families. Francis Sr. actually died being driven from Dewitt Missouri in 1838 as a result of the Mormon persecutions. Mary Ann and the children went to Nauvoo and were in the first company of Mormons driven from Nauvoo. John, Daniel and Francis joined the Mormon Battalion and left Mary and the other children in Winter Quarters. In 1850 they are in the Missouri Census, but the older sons must have come back for her because Francis was married by then with a child. My emil address isn't the same as this reply,. It is CindyFuit@gmail.com. I would be happy to share this story and all my information with you if you are interested. I have quite a bit of documentaion to back up what I have written.

Posted: 1314380195000
I have done quite a bit of research on Francis Brown Sr. adn have written a story about the family. Francis Sr. first married ABigail Edmonds. They had John and Daniel. Both sons were born in Canada. Abigail died and Francis married Mary Ann Quade in 1825. They had Francis Jr. and several other children. At some point they joined the LDS church and moved to Dewitt, Missouri. Francis died on over-exertion and malnutrition while being driven out of Nauvoo during the Mormon persecutions. Mary Ann and her children went to Nauvoo. They were endowed in the Nauvoo temple. They were with the first company of saints and the three oldest boys were mustered into the Mormon Battalion. Mary Ann stayed at Winter Quarters. The family appears in the 1850 Missouri Census. The three oldest sons are there, but were all adults. Francis was already married to Magell and had a son by now. Daniel I think was already divorced from the St. Clair women. I have quite a bit of documentation to support the story I have written. I am happy to share with anyone what I know about the family. My email isn't the same as this reply. It is CindyFuit@gmail.com. Please feel free to contact me and I can tell you all I know.

Posted: 1315172112000
I am extremely interested in any information you might have regarding Magell. Would you mind sending me the information to brighamr@gmail.com? We would love to have it. Thank you in advance for any help. Sincerely,

Brigham

Posted: 1315172115000
I am extremely interested in any information you might have regarding Magell. Would you mind sending me the information to brighamr@gmail.com? We would love to have it. Thank you in advance for any help. Sincerely,

Brigham
per page

Find a board about a specific topic