Sketches of Colorado: being an analytical summary and biographical ..., Volume 1
By William Columbus Ferril, Western Press Bureau Company
Note - the Google Book has a photo of him.http://books.google.com/books?ei=Nh4oT_T7JqXe0QHSh7ToAg&...
ERASTUS F. HALLACK.
HALLACK, ERASTUS F., lumber merchant and manufacturer, was born in Bethany, Genesee county, N. Y., May 30, 1832, remaining there until 21 years of age, and receiving his education in the local schools. Then starting west, he located in St. Charles, Kane county, Ill., where he engaged in the carriage manufacturing business in company with Stephen March, continuing for ten years, and in which he was successful and prosperous. Removing to Highland, Doniphan county, Kansas, in 1863, he there established himself in the same business, which he closed out in 1865. He then started for Denver, in charge of an ox train of twentyfive wagons, loaded with corn, each drawn by three yoke of oxen. Selling the corn on commission, and returning to Kansas, he came again to Denver in 1866, with a mule train of corn, this time owning the corn, which he sold at a good profit. Soon after, he engaged in the lumber business with Dr. J. H. Morrison. The latter retiring in 1868, Mr. Hallack, with his brother Charles, formed a partnership under the name and title of the Hallack Brothers Lumber Company.
In 1877, Charles and J. H. Howard became members of the firm, and the business was continued under the name of Hallack & Howard. E. F. Hallack retired from the firm in 1879, and organized "The E. F. Hallack Lumber & Manufacturing Company." In 1886 he purchased the land and opened a branch lumber yard called the Texas Lumber Company at 40th and Franklin Streets. The E. F. Hallack Lumber & Manufacturing Company, in 1890, erected a large mill at 23rd and Blake Streets. The year previous (1889) he started the Hallack Paint, Oil & Glass Company, which in 1905 was sold to J. G. McMurtry, and is now known as the McMurtry Manufacturing Company.
In 1891, The E. F. Hallack Lumber & Manufacturing Company was consolidated with the Sayre-Newton Lumber Company, and operated under the name of the HallackSayre-Newton Lumber Company, until 1898, when the Hallack interests were sold to the Sayre-Newton Lumber Company. In 1898, the Texas Lumber Company was enlarged and the name changed to the Hallack Lumber & Supply Company. Mr. Hallack passed away Dec. 6, 1897, and in his death, the community lost a valued citizen, a man of deep sympathies and generous charities. He was one of the incorporators of the Rocky Mountain Construction Company, which was later merged into the Denver Union Water Company. He was broad and liberal in his views, and the Unitarian Church was his special interest.
Mr. Hallack married in 1868, Miss Kate Gray of Bethany, New York. Three children were born to them, but only one, Minnie Gray Hallack, now Mrs. W. N. W. Blayney, grew to maturity. Mrs. Hallack, a descendant of a prominent colonial family, is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and has been Regent of the Colorado Chapter D. A. R. From the pioneer days to the present, she has been a leader in the social life of the city. She first came to Denver in 1868. The Union Pacific was finished only to Cheyenne, and from there to Denver she made the trip in a stage coach, with hostile Indians on all sides. The first pretentious residence in Denver was the old Hallack home at 19th and Lincoln Streets, then outside the town. It had the first bay window and the first winding stairway in the city. It was then the show-place of Denver with its two fountains on the lawn, but is best remembered by the old-time hospitality that was here dispensed, and where were wont to gather those prominent in the early life of the city."