Search for content in message boards

Mary Ann McMullen, daughter of John of Guinness,married James Hanna

Mary Ann McMullen, daughter of John of Guinness,married James Hanna

Posted: 1005251462000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1005994038000
Surnames: McMullen, Hanna(h)
Mary Ann McMullen, daughter of John McMullen of Guinness in Co. Down married James Hanna, son of Richard Hanna at St. Patrick's Church, Ballynahinch, Co. Down in 1892. They Had two children John Joseph and Mary Josephine.
Are there any relatives of the Hanna or McMullen family still in Co. Down?

Re: Mary Ann McMullen, daughter of John of Guinness,married James Hanna

Posted: 1005355617000
Edited: 1145067377000
Surnames: McMullen,Hanna
John McMullan of Ballynahinch is listed in the 1886 Directory as farming at Dooglen, Dunmore. There is no Guinness townalnd in Ballynahinch that I can find. Probably you mean Drumaness. Guinness is the lovely black stuff you drink with a creamy head ! R. Hanna was a farmer at Drumaness Parish. Drumaness means the ridge of the meeting place in Irish. There may well be McMullans and Hanna's still in Ballynahinch and the white pages for B'hinch, N.Ireland might find some. There would also be directories for the area which could be obtained through a Belfast bookseller or the bookshop at Queen's University (web site).
If they were married in the R.C. Church the pp might be able to tell you. Send enough money for return postage - a donation to the church would also be welcome I'm sure.
Bally na hinch means town of the island.

Posted: 1005396638000
Surnames: McMullen
Thank you again,
I already have information from parish registers. The Directory information is useful.

Posted: 1005970722000
Edited: 1067129815000
Surnames: McMullan, Hanna, O'Neill, Rice, McManus
Greetings,

The McMullan family are buried at Aghlisnafin Roman Catholic Graveyard in the parish of Kilmegan - and this includes Patrick McMullan.
They appear in Vol. 9 of County Down Graveyard Inscriptions edited by R.J.S. Clarke. If you don't already have the details, please advise.

Vol. 9 is for the Baronies of Lecale, and Kinelarty; Aghlisnafin, Ballykinler, Ballynahinch, Clough, Drumaroad, Kilmegan, Loughinisland, Magheradrool, Magherahamlet; Rathmullan and Seaforde.

The Hanna family i.e. graves for Patrick Hanna, Thomas Hanna and James Hanna are also there.

In the same Vol. buried at Drumaroad Roman Catholic Graveyard there is a Patrick Hanna, and Hugh Hanna.

In the same Vol. buried at Loughinisland Graveyard there are graves for 7 McMullan - including a Patrick.

Also Charles O'Neill buried at Drumaroad Roman Catholic Graveyard - wife Eleanor.

O'Neill family also married into Rice and McManus family.

Posted: 1005989657000
Surnames: Hanna, O'Neil, Drake, McMullen
Thank you for replying to my message. I would be grateful for the cemetery information as I don't have access to Vol 9.
I have parish information from St Patrick's Ballynahinch for Hannas baptised and married there and am trying to find out more about the McMullens in the hope that they may lead me to the Hanna and O'Neil families.

Posted: 1006061347000
Edited: 1067129815000
Surnames: McMullan, MacMullan, McMullen, Hanna, Hana, Hannah, Rogan, Reilly, Lynn, Maguire,Trindle, Mooney,
From Vol. 9 County Down Graveyard Inscriptions edited by R.J.S. Clarke:

Buried at Aghlisnafin Roman Catholic Graveyard:

HANNA: Erected by Patrick Hanna of Australia in memory of his father Patrick of Magherasaul who departed this life 3rd Sept. 1840 aged 77 yrs.

HANNA: In memory of Thomas Hanna of Magherasaul who died 6th Aug. 1859 aged 49 yrs.

HANNA: Erected in memory of James Hanna of Magherasaul who departed this life 4th May 1863 aged 89 yrs.

McMULLAN: Erected to the memory of Owen McMullan of Castlewellan who departed this life 27th Mar. 1849 aged 62 yrs.
Also to the memory of his wife Elizabeth McMullan who departed this life 17th March 1853 aged 67 yrs.
Also to the memory of his daughter Rosena McMullan who departed this life 18th May 1853 aged 29 yrs.
Also his daughter Susanna McMullan who departed this life 28th April, 1895.

McMULLAN: Patrick McMullan late of Castlewellan died April, 1854 and contributed two hundred pounds towards the erection of this church.

McMULLAN see MOONEY:

MOONEY: Beneath this stone lie the remains of Ellen Mooney who departed this life 10th July, 1847 aged 56 yrs.
This cemetery was enclosed by Pat McMULLAN of Castlewellan in memory and respect to her, his dearly beloved and only sister. Inscribed by Hugh MOONEY in memory of his dearly beloved uncle Patrick McMULLAN of Castlewellan, who died 10th April, 1854 aged 60.

MOONEY: Father James Mooney, Castlewellan died 19th Feb. 1865.

Buried at Kilmegan Cemetery:

HANA: This is the burying ground of Hugh Hana of Castlewellan, his wife Nancy Hana interred here 1st Aug. 1823 aged 70 yrs.

HANNAH: Erected by William Hannah of Castlewellan in memory of his mother Elizabeth Hannah who departed this life 19th April 1854 aged 48 yrs.
Also his sister Jane who departed this life July 7th 1845 aged 16 yrs.
Also his grandfather John TRINDLE who departed this life 29th June 1839 aged 66 yrs.
And his grandmother Elizabeth TRINDLE who departed this life 22nd Mar. 1842 aged 66 yrs.

Buried at Loughinisland Graveyard:
MacMULLAN: Here lieth the remains of Rt. Rev. MacMullan, R.C. Bishop of Down and Connor, born 17th Mar. 1752, consecrated Bishop 2nd Sept. 1793, departed this life 25th Oct. 1824.

McMULLAN: Here lies the body of John McMullan of Tyrella who departed this life april, 2, 17(..) aged 59 yrs. And also the body of ......McMullan...........who departed ths life.....(1752) aged 75 yrs.

McMULLAN: Erected by Rosanna McMullan in memory of her father John McMullan of Sevaghan who died 14th Feb. 1838 aged 85 yrs.
And of her mother Elizabeth MAGUIRE who died 10th Sept. 1841 aged 78 yrs.
Also her brothers: Alexander who died 1817 aged 12 yrs
James who died 1814 aged 27 yrs
And her sisters: Mary died 1814 aged 36 yrs
Margaret died 5th Aug. 1837 aged 60 yrs
Catherine died 6th Sept. 1840 aged 58 yrs
Ellen died 17th Jan. 1875 aged 75 yrs
Also her husband James LYNN died May 1884 aged 79 yrs
Also their children: Alexander Lynn died april, 1879 aged 44 yrs,
Patrick Lynn died Feb. 1903 aged 70 yrs,
Rose Lynn died 13th July 1915 aged 76 yrs

McMULLAN:c.1830: Patrick McMullan and his wife Elizabeth, also their children Patrick, Ann, John, Patrick Junior, and Ellen, whose remains are interred here.

McMULLAN: This stone was erected to the memory of the late Patrick McMullan of Backadery who departed this life 5th May 1830, aged 76 yrs.
And of his son John who departed this life 18th June, 1831 aged 31 yrs.
Also of his son Valentine who departed this life 31st Jan. 1832 aged 27 yrs.
Likewise his son James who departed this life 20th May 1832 aged 34 yrs.
Also the remains of his wife Rachel McMullan who departed this life 6th Sept. 1833 aged 63 yrs.

MacMULLAN: John MacMullan, Loughinisland, died 27th May 1871.
And his daughter Rose, sister Mary Vincent in religion, died 20th April, 1871.
And his son Edward died 31st May 1858.
And his grandson Thomas MacMullan died June 1874.
And Jane, beloved wife of his son Peter, died 8th Nov. 1877.
And his beloved wife Margaret died 2nd July, 1887.
and his grand-daughter Mary ROGAN died 20th Nov. 1892.
And his great grand daughter Annie F. MacMullan died 26th Feb. 1904. Margaret J. ROGAN died 11th July 1905.
And his daughter Catherine who died 4th Feb. 1906.

McMULLAN: Erected in memory of Mary REILLY alias McMullan , Seavaghan, who died 12th Mar. 1901 aged 82 yrs.
Also Neal McMullan, Tevenadara, who died April, 1826 aged 50 yrs.
And his wife Elizabeth McMullan who died 2nd Nov. 1863 aged 72 yrs.
Also Catherine ROGAN died 20th July, 1891 aged 73 yrs.
And Mary HANNA died 12th March 1898 aged 37 yrs.
Also Catherine McMullan died 19th Jan. 1899 aged 72 yrs.

Buried at Magheradrool Graveyard:

McMULLEN: Erected by James McMullen to the memory of his mother Sarah McMullen who died 21st Dec. 1813 aged 55 yrs.

Ann Ita Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 1007255981000
Hi might be of help, my ancestory are also Hanna from Drumnaquoile between Castlewelan Ballynahinch he was also Richard Married ?? had at least one son James married Ann Woods sister Mary Anne married John Keenan our side. Also a Patrick Hanna his daughter Elizabeth married a Thomas Walsh These two families are related but unable to make the connection as yet Ann Ita

W Stranney (View posts)
Posted: 1007775003000
Surnames: Straney, Stranney
Just noticed your enquiry about McMullens and "Guinness" etc. It's late for me tonight so I can't investigate this properly now. Suffice for now to say that there have been lots of McMullans, McMullens and so on around Ballynahinch and Downpatrick areas (and there are still some) and that there is a Guiness townland somewhere in this area. I'll check it's exact location out soon and get back to you.

Billy.

Posted: 1166457440000
Surnames: McMullen, Maguire, Green

Hi,

I have a Mary McMullan marrying John Green in c.1800. I know that the McMullans and Greens had connections with the Townland of Guinness. Have you come across this family in your search ?

Tess

Posted: 1167008321000
The twonland of Guiness (only one "n") is in the Parish of Magherahamlet. Griffith's Valuations 1863-4 for this parish listed:
McMULLEN
John & Margaret, Dooglen
HANNA
Hugh, Mary & James, Guiness
per page

Find a board about a specific topic