Search for content in message boards

George & Mary Ann NORTH (nee BROAD): lived Chatham

George & Mary Ann NORTH (nee BROAD): lived Chatham

Posted: 989323200000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1140547077000
Surnames: North, Broad
I'm searching for distance North relatives from England. Ernest, John and George North were Brothers born to George North and Sarah(?). George North married Mary Ann Broad. They came to America in the late 1800's. 3 Children were born in England (Chatem-Kent)prior to there departure to the U.S. I have made serveral contacts on the Broad side but no luck on the North's - Can anyone Help! George and Mary Ann are at Rest in the McDonoghville Cemetery in Gretna, Louisiana. George North 1845-1918.

NORTH in Middlesex & Canada

Posted: 1044686264000
Edited: 1140546815000
Surnames: North
Hi Pamela
I have just started my search on the North family. I have a George C North m Emma living in Middlesex, England in 1881 aged 24 and 25. One son Ernest C North ages 1 month.

I also have a letter from Canada froma Herbert North with brothers Arthur and Kennard.

Does any of this fit in with your research?

Ruth
NZ

NORTH & BROAD: 1800s Hoo & Chatham

Pam (View posts)
Posted: 1045536830000
Edited: 1140546901000
Surnames: North, Broad
Ruth,
My George North was born in 1845, in England. (Unknown city). He married Mary Ann Broad. The Broad's were in Hoo, Kent, England and I guess that George and Mary Ann met there. Their oldest child Benjamin George North was born in Chatam-Kent England (1871). Their youngest, Samuel Broad North my Great Grandfather, was born in Mississippi, USA (1884). I have several relatives on the Broad side that I am working with and have been able to obtain a great deal of history on the Broads. My Norths, George and his brother's John and Ernest and possibly a sister have been elusive. I am awaiting the birth certificate from England through one of my Broad relatives. Hopefully, I will get more information then. Are your North's located in Louisiana? If so, maybe I can help you with local research. Let me know...Pam

NORTH in Middlesex (mid/late 1800s) & Canada

Posted: 1045539176000
Edited: 1140546976000
Surnames: North
Dear Pam

This is all on have on my Ernest North - lived in Canada.
Descendants of George C North

1 George C North 1856 - b: Abt. 1856 in Willesden, Middlesex, England
. +Emma Shepherd 1855 - b: Abt. 1855 in Holsworthy, Devon, England
........ 2 Ernest Crawford North 1881 - b: Abt. 1881 in St Lukes, Middlesex, England
............ +Hilary
................... 3 Victor North b: in Canada
........ 2 Beatrice May North 1884 - b: Abt. 1884 in Kentish Town, Hampstead, London, England
............ +Batten
........ 2 Albert T North 1886 - b: Abt. 1886 in Kentish Town, Hampstead, London, England
........ 2 Olive E North 1887 - b: Abt. 1887 in Kentish Town, Hampstead, London, England
........ 2 Winfred North 1891 - b: Abt. 1891 in Kentish Town, Hampstead, London, England
Ruth

Mary Ann BROAD (NORTH): bn c1851 Rainham, marr 1870 Hoo

P Patai (View posts)
Posted: 1048130772000
Edited: 1048182659000
Surnames: Broad, North, Barnett, Morgan
33. MARY ANN11 BROAD (SAMUEL10, BENJAMIN9, BENJAMIN8, GEORGE7, GEORGE6, GEORGE5, HENRY4,
ANDREW3, PETER2, BROAD1) was born abt 1851 in Rainham, Kent, England. She married George North. He was born abt 1845 and died in 1918, Algiers, Louisiana, USA. He is the son of George North and Sarah (Unknown).

More on George North and Mary Ann Brod:
Marriage: December 25, 1870, Hoo, Kent England.

Notes for Mary Ann Broad:
Mary Ann States that she is married but the head of the Home. She appears to have traveled to the America as one son was born in America in 1874. Her husband may well be overseas.
(See Notes from Benjamin George North, #43.)

More About Mary Ann Broad:
Marital Status: 1881, Married
Relation /Head of House/5: 1881, Head
Residence: 1881, Hoo, Kent, England (Source: 1881/1341210 PRO RG 11 Piece 0884 Folio 45 Page 29.)
Died: 01/06/1894 New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 43 Years of age at death. (Source: (1)Death certificate, City of New Orleans, State of Louisiana, USA #105 692)

More about George North:
Burial: 1918, McDonoughville Cemetery, Gretna, Louisiana, USA

Children of Mary Ann Broad and George North are:

43. i. BENJAMIN GEORGE12 North, b. December 3, 1871, Saint Werburg Hoo, Kent,
England; d. Bef 1959

More About Benjamin George North:
Christened: January 21, 1872, Saint Werburg, Hoo, Kent, England

Additional Notes of Benjamin George North:

I, Benjamin George North was born in ChatamKent, England in the year of our Lord 1871,on
December 3rd. My parents left England to come to Ameica about June 1873. We sailed from
Liverpool aboard a Harrison Line Steamship named the Statesman bound for New Orleans. On our
arrival at New Orleans (the voyage took 3 weeks) we boarded a Morgan, La. And Texas RR train
for Morgan City , La. or Brashier City as it was once named. It was changed to Morgan City in
honor of Mr. Charles Morgan the promoter of the Morgan La. and Texas Railroad and Steamship
Company. I think the original name of the road was the La. and Western. They used a transfer
boat for quite a wile to cross Berwick Bay called the Lucreita and abandoned the boat on
completion of the bridge across Berwick Bay which took place in 1882. The M.L. and T. also
operated a line of ships between Morgan City and Gulf Ports. They were known as the Old Red
Ships. They were walking beams type except two which were screw driven. These were named
the Arkansas and the Morgan City and were painted black. The sidewheelers were painted red and
their names, as far as I can remember, the Harline, the Clinton, the Gussie, the Whitney, the St.
Mary, the Hughes and the Morgan.

We remained in Morgan City until may 1878, when my parents decided to pay a visit to their
parents in England. We left new Orleans aboard a Harrison liner for Liverpool intending to be
gone only for six months. The yellow fever epidemic broke out in New Orleans before we arrived
in England and it caused us to remain in England more than three years. During that time I went to
school at the public school about 1 ½ miles from my home. We walked both ways (we had no
vans or busses in those days to carry us to and from school.). As my father was not afraid of the
yellow fever or any disease in fact and he liked the states when the six months was up he left
England to return back to the U.S.A. leaving my mother, I and my brother Charley and my sister
Beatrice to follow later. Beatrice was then an infant. We left England some time in 1881. I think
it was about May. We left Liverpool on an Inman Liner named the Nova Scotian. The ship called
at Queen Town, Ireland, St. John’s N.B. Halafax N.S. and the ship went to Baltimore, Maryland
where we left the ship and boarded a Baltimore and Ohio train for Chicago. From there we
boarded an Illinois Central train for new Orleans (almost a week was consumed in this trip).

At New Orleans, we were met by my father who took us to Morgan City over the Morgan La. and
Texas RR. (Original transcription of a letter that was type written by Benjamin George North; date
written, unknown) (Source: (1) Benjamin George North)

ii. CHARLES M.12 North, b. Abt. 1874, America.

More About Charles M. North:
Relation /Head of House/5: 1881, Son
Residence: 1881, Hoo, Kent, England (Source: 1881/1341210 PRO RG 11 Piece 0884 Folio 45 Page 29.)

44. iii. BEATRICE12 North, b. Abt. 1879, Hoo Kent, England; d. Bef 1959.

45. iv. SAMUEL BROAD12 North, b. November 22, 1884, Mississippi, USA; d. February
18,1960, Algiers, Louisiana (Source: (1)Death certificate, City of New Orleans,
State of Louisiana, USA #60 01487)

More about Samuel Broad North:
Christened: 1884 (Source: (1) Copied from the Parish of St. Peter’s Church Register, Columbia, Tennessee)
Witnesses: B. G. North and Rosa Barnett
(B.G. North…if referring to Benjamin George North, Samuel’s brother, would have only been 13 years of age when standing as witness to Samuel’s christening…Could there be another B.G. North…perhaps in George North’s generation of the 1850’s)

46. vii. WILLIAM BRUCE 12 North, b. Abt 1888, Alabama; d. March 12, 1959, New Orleans
(Algiers), Louisiana, USA

47. v. EDNA MATILDA12 North, b. September 28, 1894, Florence, Alabama, USA; d. April
22, 1964, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.

vi. JOHN12 North, d. Bef 1959

Re: George & Mary Ann NORTH (nee BROAD): lived Chatham

Posted: 1418582524000
My father is Benjamin George North. His father and grandfather are also Benjamin George North and it looks like his great grandfather is George North and his great grandmother is Mary Ann Broad.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic