Search for content in message boards

Cyrill (Darkie) Ellis

Cyrill (Darkie) Ellis

Posted: 1232724097000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ellis
Cyrill (Darkie) Ellis may be a relative of mine. He was probably born between 1895 and 1910. He was a well known professional boxer in the 1930s. He was based in the north of England I believe (Sheffield/Lanchashire or thereabouts). Any information and in particular a photograph would be very helpful. Thank you.

Re: Cyrill (Darkie) Ellis

Posted: 1246711887000
saw this boxer mentioned on antiques roadshow from bridlington. it was his granddaughter with pictures and a poster

Posted: 1257886963000
greetings: today i saw an episode of antique roadshow UK shot in Bridlington. a lady brought in a fight poster of her grandfather (cyrill darkie ellis). i am always curious about genetics so i was trying to find more about her family tree. the woman appeared to be a white and i am curious about phiysical features of her parents,children and grandchildren. anyway, i thought you might like to know about the show. perhaps you can contact them.

thank you, sessah

Posted: 1273160359000
My father was in the army with Darkie Ellis, who was a boxer. They were good friends although my dad can't remember his first name, always knew him as Darkie. Darkie was a driver of an army truck and their job, in 1945, was to go into prisoner of war camps that had been abandoned by the fleeing german forces and generally look after the prisoners until they could be repatriated. One of the things they did to keep up moral was to organise football matches between different camps. Darkie played full-back. One of the camps was Sambostel. My dad remembers Darkie as a really nice quiet person, not at all like a boxer.
He has a photo somewhere. If we find it I can send a copy.

Posted: 1299611802000
Hi,I am in New Zealand and of no relation but was watching Antiques Road show last night and I think it was from Bridlington in Yorkshire , Darkies grand daughter was on with some of his memorabilia so this may help...good luck

Re: Cyril (Darkie) Ellis

Posted: 1310672377000
Dear KarenSprouse, I am a relative of Cyril (Darkie) Ellis. My grandma is his half-sister. My mum stumbled on the bbc programme two years ago and was shocked at the resemblance the lady had to her mum (my grandma) they have the same shaped eyes and similar facial features. I managed to contact the BBC and my grandma met her great niece for the first time and are now good friends. During the war Darkie Ellis's children and wife stayed with her. Please reply and get in contact it would be lovely to have found another long lost relative. We would also love to know how you are related to him.

Posted: 1310752497000
Hello and thanks so much for contacting me.

I also saw the BBc programe and that got me thinking about Cyril and my own family. I no longer think Cyril Ellis is a relative of mine but I had been trying to find the father of my two aunts both born in Sheffield in the early 1930s. Cyril and my maternal grandfather Howard Powell were both professional boxers and were known to each other. They may have fought each other? Howard went on to marry my maternal grandma Dorothy but before she married Howard she married a chap who turned out to be already married and was the father of my two aunts. The reason I first thought Cyril could be their father is because they both have dark hair and skin. It was just a shot in the dark and seemed to make sense at the time but I have since found a birth certificate for one of my aunts that names her father and it is not Cyril.

Best wishes Karen

Posted: 1310759125000
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you have made progress with your investigation. Darkie Ellis' real surname is Hills. At the moment I'm trying to find information out about his father William Hills and his brother Billy. If you at all have come across information about them please would you let me know.

Best Wishes

alice

Posted: 1325089563000
Surnames: Farnsworth Fearn Hills
I too am a relative of Darkie Ellis.
My Grandfather George Farnsworth was the brother of Darkie's mother Elizabeth Farnsworth. His birth was registered in the December qtr of 1914 in Belper Derbyshire as Cyril Hills and his older brother William in the September Qtr of 1912. Elizabeth and William never married they met when William came to Derby with the royal show (I think 1904). In the 1911 Census William and Elizabeth were living in Belper Derbyshire Working as Barker grocer and Barker Greengrocer.
I have loads of information on Elizabeth's family and would love to know more of William's

Posted: 1325098639000

My name is Alice Sarah Darko named after Alice Sarah Hills- my greatgrandma the second partner of Williams Hills whom he married.

Thank you for all your information and I am writing this with my grandma Leaphia Darko nee Hills. We will also inform the lady who appeared on Antiques roadshow (Bridget - Darkie Ellis' granddaughter) as she is trying to research more about our family tree.

In respect to William Hills (my great grandad) the only information my grandmother has is that he had four children with Elizabeth (Victoria Grace,Annie, Cyril, Billy). He married Alice at Mannsfield Nottinghamshire and had 2 children (my grandma and Sylvia Hills). William was originally from Barbados. He fought in the first world war and Boer war but she never knew when exactly he was born. At one time he was a miner, a stoker on ships, one of his final jobs was as a watchman at the Ossington aerodrome during the second world war. When he was younger he did boxing and she remembers him saying he was on the stage as one of 'The Three Dusky Princes'.

During the war they lived at Moorhouse in Nottinghamshire where they had a small holding in the country with pigs and chickens. Billy stayed there and Cyril and his wife Joyce came there with their children Moira and Sonya. Moira is Brigit's mother. Grace visited several times and took my grandma and her sister back to manchester to stay with her.

As I said before Brigit is doing the research on William and Elizabeth so I hope you do not mind us letting her know about this message. At the moment we don't know Williams army regiment. Nor did we know till today Elizabeth's surname so thank you very much!! If you would like to find out more too please would you provide us with your email address.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Alice

per page

Find a board about a specific topic