Search for content in message boards

Hugh Taylor

Posted: 1030693066000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1152136229000
I'm seeking information on Hugh Taylor a mine owner and shipowner born I think in Shilbottle. He married Mary Taylor whose father owned Cramlington Hall in 1842. He was also an M.P. for Tynemouth in the 1850's. I would be interested in of any children he had. John

Re: Hugh Taylor

Harry L.Coxon (View posts)
Posted: 1030713886000
Hello John,

Here is a lot information on Hugh TAYLOR, whose parents were John Taylor and Margaret Darling:-

1873 - Biographical Notes
The name of no coal owner is more widely, or more favourably known in these two counties than that of Mr. Hugh Taylor, the genial owner of Chipchase Castle. Mr. Taylor is the son of the late John Taylor, of Shilbottle, in Northumberland, and was born in 1817. He was named after his uncle, the late Mr. Hugh Taylor, of Earsdon, who was well known as the commissioner of the Duke of Northumberland. Part of his eductaion was received at the Royal Jubilee School, New Road, Newcastle, and nothing seems to give him greater pleasure than to attend at the annual examination of the Jubilee boys, and give them a word of encouragement and advice. Being of a generous and adventurous disposition, he chose the sea as his profession, his first voyage being from North Shields, in the Royal Standard. He very soon discovered that the life of a mariner was rather too hard, and not very profitable, and accordingly while yet young, he left going to sea, and became a partner in a house of coal factors, in London; and, subsequently, in several very extensive collieries in the North of England, including Haswell, Ryhope, Backworth, Holywell, East and West Cramlington, as well as in many mines in South Wales. In 1842, Mr. Taylor married Mary, the daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Taylor, of Cramlington Hall. In 1852, he successfully contested the borough of Tynemouth against Mr. R. W. Grey, the then sitting member who was a talented young Whig ; but treating had been very extensively carried on by his supporters, and in the following year he was unseated on a petition, for bribery. Mr. W. S. Lindsay, the well-known shipowner, was then returned in his stead; but at the next election in 1859, he returned to the charge, and succeeded in ousting Mr. Lindsay, who was elected for Sunderland soon afterwards. Though returned as a Tory, Mr. Taylor had not been in the House of Commons very long before he surprised his Conservative friends in North Shields by the liberality of his views, and by his repeated appearance in the Liberal lobby, against the Tories on critical and party questions. On the death of his brother, Mr. Thomas John Taylor, in 1861, Mr. Hugh Taylor deemed it prudent to devote more time to his own business, and he accordingly retired from Parliament. Since then he has confined his attention almost exclusively to his own business, which has very largely extended, and now includes the proprietorship of a very considerable tonnage of steam shipping. Mr. Taylor is chairman of the Coal Trade Association; president of the Newcastle and Gateshead Chamber of Commerce; and a Justice of the Peace for the Counties of Northumberland and Middlesex. As an employer, Mr. Taylor is at once the best known, and the best beloved of all the coal owners of the north. While looking after his own interests in every legitimate manner, he yet recognises to the fullest extent the interests of the miners, and in place of regarding them as mere tools, as many yet are disposed to regard them, he looks upon them as fellowmen rendering him an obligation by their labour equally as he renders them an obligation by finding them employment. In all disputes arising between him and his men, he has ever shown a generous and conciliatory spirit, and no man who has had any dealings with him - be his social position what it may - ever had cause to complain of any discourtesy on the part of Mr. Hugh Taylor.
Source: Miners of Northumberland and Durham (1873)

Harry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 1030745293000
Edited: 1152136229000
Hi Harry, I have most of that info, I was wanting something further on his family and if he had any children, as a friends wife (a Taylor) from the N.Shields area believes her g-grandfather was his son who married against his wishes and was cut off. She remembers a rich "Auntie" coming down to Durham in the 50's for family does. John

Posted: 1049031241000
Surnames: Taylor/Ilderton
Hello there, I used to go to school with a person in Walsend, England called Elaine Taylor who I am trying to get a hold of.

Posted: 1432055420000
Iwas told by my grangmother Jane Taylor Kell, that her father George was the grandson of Hugh Taylor. He eloped with the head groom's daughter.and was banished from Chipchase Castle with money to disappear. They went on Gold rushes to USA and Opal mining in Australia. returng as coal miners. I have just been contacted by a lady in Ohio who also had this story passed down her. Her relative had to sign a document to give up his claim to Chipchase. I was told it passed to the younger brother after being disinherited.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic