Search for content in message boards

UK Birth Certificates in the 1800s

UK Birth Certificates in the 1800s

Posted: 1546128887000
Classification: Query
Hi

If someone gave birth in a family illegitimately, and a family member took the child on, say a grandmother, or sister, is it possible they could have gone to register the child and put their name down on the birth certificate, instead of the biological Mothers?

There is an ancestor in my family tree who was born in the 1873, and I've heard rumors her Mother wasn't her mother, and the person who she thought was her Mother was an aunt. The birth certificate doesn't show this though. So I'm a bit puzzled.

Re: UK Birth Certificates in the 1800s

Posted: 1546156810000
It was entirely possible, and certainly happened, though how often is impossible to tell. Illegitimate births were also skated over with entirely fictitious father's names and mother's maiden names.

Posted: 1549739611000
A Birth, Death or Marriage certificate is only as reliable as the person who provided the information to complete it. Children born out of wedlock receive a "bad name" today, but this was not always true. The church tended to put the blame on the mother rather than the child and this can often be recorded in Baptism Records with the description Base Born or BB by the child's name. When it came to the Father a woman could be challenged to name the child's father or risk being refused Parish Relief (or Benefits) to support her children.

Posted: 1550780999000
It happened in my family. My aunt who was the tail-end of my GGPs large family , was in her 20's before finding out that her real mum was her eldest sister (who had been in service).
It seems that my GGPs had had an illegitimate child of their own & had placed him with a childminder, where he had died of neglect. They decided that the same fate would not befall their granddaughter, so they 'adopted' her themselves.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic