Search for content in message boards

Fothergill

Fothergill

Marilyn Moore (View posts)
Posted: 937224000000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fothergill, Finley, woods, duckett, whaley
Looking for descendants of this line. Please contact me.
Yorkshire Horton on Ribblesdale

Fothergill

Marie Munday (View posts)
Posted: 965822400000
Surnames: Lee, Fothergill, Wilson
Thomas Lee married Hannah Fothergill, parish church Dewsbury 2nd August 1803.
Witnesses to marriage, William Senior/Benjamin Fothergill.
Thomas died 21st Nov 1848, Earlsheaton 70 yrs.
Hannah died 29th April 1860 in her 74th year.

FAMILY TREE DESCENDANTS

KIMLEY FOTHERGILL (View posts)
Posted: 965822400000
Surnames: FOTHERGILL, GRANT, HALLET, ADAMS, JEFFREYS, TYLER, PARROT
I AM LOOKING FOR MY DESCENDANTS FOLLOWING THESE NAMES AS A TRIBUTE TO MY GREAT NAN ELSIE ADA FOTHERGILL WHO DIED 29th JULY 2000, PLEASE REPLY IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THESE NAMES ESPECIALLY GRANT AND FOTHERGILL

THANKYOU

KIMLEY FOTHERGILL

Finley

Debbi (View posts)
Posted: 972475200000
Surnames: Finley
Hello Marilyn,

Don't know if this is any use. Clarence Finley married Sarah Johnson. Children Jesse, John, and Bart. Looking for info on Clarence.

Thank you in advance

Re: Fothergill

Dorothy Skarpaas (View posts)
Posted: 1041391677000
Surnames: Fothergill

Hello there, my query is simple. What is the meaning of the surname "Fothergill". All guidance gratefully accepted....Thanks....Regards Dorothy

Posted: 1043387958000
Edited: 1122930465000
Marie, To my understanding the name Fothergill came from viking word foda, meaning small meadow

Re: Finley

Posted: 1044907535000
I have some info on Clarence and his parents.
Ivan F. Finley e-mail ivanf@sedona.net
Posted: 1044909468000
Edited: 1159751245000
Surnames: FINLEY, JOHNSON
Would love to here about any information you have on Clarence and his family. If I have any information you could use I will be happy to share.

Debbi email at FinleyFamily@hotmail.com

Ronald Milford (View posts)
Posted: 1062064524000
Surnames: LEE-MILFORD
Do you happen to have the names of any children of Thomas and Hanna Lee?

My grandfather was Fredrick George Lee born in Yorkshire, England in 1876 and died in Almonte, Ontario in 1941. I have his parents as Thomas and Sarah Lee. They also had one other son that I know of, Robert Lee who lived in City View (Ottawa), Ontario.

I am wondering if my great grandfather Thomas was a descendent of your Thomas Lee?

Posted: 1065865523000
Edited: 1088376605000
The meaning I have found so far is "foder" = meaning to feed the animals + "gill" = meaning a meadow or valley area

for a slightly different meaning go to:
http://www.angelfire.com/co2/fothergill/history.html

"Researchers are fairly certain that the name 'Fother' is an old Scandinavian personal name. Bardsley in his work Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames (1901) adds that 'gill' refers to where he settled. In the Old Norse language 'gil' refers to a wooded glen, small ravine or brook. The Norwegians settled in and around Cuerdeale (Kendal, Westmorland County, England) between 865 and 955 AD. Though it is not known just when the name Fothergill came into being, it can be assumed that it was used to distinguish a man from the area in which Fother (whomever he may have been) had settled. Bardsley adds 'That Mallerstang Forest and Ravenstonedale in county Westmorland are the homes of this name, there can be no doubt'. "
per page

Find a board about a specific topic