Search for content in message boards

LS Lowry, masterpiece painter

LS Lowry, masterpiece painter

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 1142707194000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1144132756000
Surnames: Lowry, Hobson
My friend in England sent me a newspaper article depicting L.S.Lowry. Does anyone have LS Lowry's family tree? I am a former Lowry, and would like to know if LS Lowry is related to our Lowry Family Tree. Thanks so much.

Laurence Stephen Lowry was born in Rusholme, Manchester, in November 1887, the only child of Irish-born R S Lowry and Elizabeth Lowry (née Hobson).He lived in Mottram until he died in 1976 - a death marked by unprecedented homage by the 'ordinary people' of Manchester.

L.S. Lowry is unquestionably one of the most celebrated British artists and his unique contribution to recording the period, culture and landscape of industrial Salford and Manchester is without parallel.

Lowry's status as one of the major British artists of the 20th Century was reinforced when the painting “Going To The Match” was sold at Auction for a record £1.9 million to the Manchester-based Professional Footballers Association.

Re: LS Lowry, masterpiece painter

Posted: 1148502721000
Edited: 1149319818000
Surnames: Lowry, Hobson, Berry
LS Lowry's father was not Irish, He was born in 1857 in Manchester and was called Robert Stephens Mc All (or McAle) Lowry who married Elizabeth Hobson in 1885 at Blackley St Andrew Manchester. Robert was one of seven surviving children of Frederick Lowry and Eliza Berry who married in 1844 at Manchester Cathedral. Frederick Lowry (1820) was the son of Jacob Lowry and Eliza (Ukn). On the 1841 census it has Jacob born 1776 and Eliza born 1781 both in Lancashire, on a later census there is a sibling for Frederick:: John born 1826 Liverpool.

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 1156702812000
Edited: 1157158709000
Surnames: Lowry
Do you have a web site or know of a web site where I may look at a more extensive ancestry tree for LS Lowry (masterpiece painter)?

Thank you

Posted: 1156706735000
I am sorry but I have no knowledge of a website which has his genealogy. I did the research myself. If you have a query I am willing to share.

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 1156964465000
Edited: 1157158723000
I don't know if you've check this site out for more info on LS Lowry:

http://www.prideofmanchester.com/art/LSLowry.htm

Might be worth trying.

Hope I could help

Posted: 1156965792000
Cindy,

When they say his father was Irish born. and I have his great grandfather Jacob born in Lancashire circa 1775 his granddad Frederick born 1820 in Manchester and his dad born 1857 in Manchester either they are wrong or I am. ( I have a 10.8MB file of census images and BMD's for the family)

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 1157484312000
Surnames: LOWRY
You might want to try this info:

http://www.prideofmanchester.com/art/LSLowry.htm

AND

The best source of information about LS Lowry's geneology is from a book by Shelley Rohde called Lowry: a biography, published by Lowry Press. She goes into great depth into his family tree which I think you will find interesting.

You will be able to obtain this book from your library or a good bookshop.

Ruth Salisbury
Collection Administrator
Ruth.Salisbury@thelowry.com

Posted: 1157488434000
Edited: 1159249741000
Thank you for your reply, I have read Ms Rohde's original book, though not her recently updated version. As mentioned earlier I have a large file on the Lowry's including LS's aunts who ran the orphanage his uncle Martin Luther also the family that his father stayed with after leaving the Blue Coat School etc etc. I originally stated this research because my friend rented The Elms on Stalybridge Road after Mr Lowry's death also the area is local to me.

Cindy (View posts)
Posted: 1157587332000
Surnames: LOWRY
You mentioned you have a lot of info on LS Lowry. Do you have a web site that posts his ancestry? something I may look at too?

thanks.

Posted: 1428345224000
Surnames: Lowry, Taylor
Eight and half years on and I find myself on the same errand of trying to find the ancestors of LS Lowry. I am extremely grateful for the info that you have posted here and wonder if you have ever managed to get any further, please?

I have a John Lowry born in Cheshire c.1800 and married to Alice Dobson Taylor in 1835 at Stockport and then residing in Stockport.

It seems to me that the coincidence of surname and place may mean that there is some common root, but I cannot push either back in time any further - I wonder if you or anyone else can help, please?

Many thanks,
Caspar
per page

Find a board about a specific topic