John or James GIBSON Scotland > British Guyana late 19C

Replies: 7

Re: John or James GIBSON Scotland > British Guyana late 19C

Posted: 1572166714000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1572231184000
Surnames: GIBSON
Hi David,
My name is Lee-Ann Gibson..Kim passed away 10 years ago, I’m her younger sister. I too have found the same information out as you many years ago. The answer to your last question is that we are related to none of his children you mentioned. He had a child outside of his marriage named Walter Gibson in 1901 with my great grandmother Anna Devine, she was Dutch and Indian from Indonesia , but not an indentured labourer. He supported my grandfather and my grandfather use to visit him at his house in Guyana. My older aunties who are in their late 80’s now remember visiting him at his house in Guyana. It’s probably not the response you expected to hear but there’s a reason he put his name in my grandpa’s birth certificate. My grandpa had 13 kids who all immigrated to North America. I live in Canada but most are in America. On this side of the the descendants of James Gibson on this side are racially mixed. Apparently, many years ago in the late 80’s early 90’s), one of my aunts - Monica Gibson (who has since passed away) went to Scotland to meet a Gibson relative in Scotland who was shocked that Monica was not white and needless to say it did not go well. She did come back with a tartan though lol. From my research it also appears that him and his wife became somewhat estranged and documentation shows she died in Trinidad but that he stayed in Guyana and died in Guyana as well. I found an excerpt written about him in a book written by former Guyanese president Cheddi Jagan. He seemed to be a very kind man inviting the labourers to dinner but upon approaching the property his wife would throw money at them from her balcony..made for an interesting read...I also found documentation showing he started the first cricket team in Guyana and was deeply involved in improving Guyana’s infrastructure 😎

Take Care and whether you like it or not you’re my family
One love, one blood🤗
P.S. I am attaching a picture of my grandfather Walter Gibson for you to see..

Lee-Ann Margaret Gibson
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kim Gibson 911563200000 
Alex Gibson 913809600000 
Alex Gibson 913809600000 
Kim Gibson 913982400000 
Ross Pratt 941457600000 
susiehughes1 1090912086000 
dave1v69umh4v... 1413634830000 
Lee Gibson 1572166714000 
per page