Search for content in message boards

Francis Marion Berry-VA-KY 1790 - 1881

Replies: 5

Francis Marion Berry-VA-KY 1790 - 1881

Posted: 1029249908000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1075494385000
Surnames: Porter, Berry, Read, Morris, Flener
Taken from A Partial History of the Berry families.. written by a relative "Francis M. Berry and his wife, Rebecca Read Berry, were born in Virginia and were of Irish descent. When only a small boy, Francis M. moved with his parents to the upper part of Kentucky and then to Butler County, then Logan County, and settled on Big Muddy Creek, near Berry's Lick. He and his wife had ten children (this from the old Kentucky History). He died in 1881 in his 91st year, so that places his birth date in 1790, and the record of Births in the old Bible of one Enoch Berry shows his birth date September 11, 1790. I believe that the father of Francis M. berry was either one Enoch Berry or possibly one George Berry, and I am inclined to believe that he was a son of Enoch Berry, in whose Bible the record is given, along with others, but so far it is unknown which Enoch Berry. It seems that there were many Enoch Berry names in past generations of the Berry Families.

"I also have record of births copied from the old family Bible of one Enoch Berry. This record gives the birth of George Berry, January 27, 1785, Enoch Berry April 11, 1787, Francis M. Berry, September 7, 1790 and Rebecca Berry October 16, 1797.

“The Bible record, from which my dates were copied, was in the old Enoch Berry Bible, so it is logical to deduct that Enoch Berry, Sr., was the father of Enoch Berry, Jr., George Berry and Francis M. Berry, yet I am lacking verification. If I live and have the opportunity to get to a library that has the DAR Lineage records, then I will check and make a verification, also know which Enoch was the Revolutionary Soldier. The Old Bible also shows birth date of Rebecca Berry to be October 16, 1797, so I deduce that this is the date of the wife of Francis M. Berry.

“Also, the same record seems to also have the birth records of at least nine of the ten children of Francis M. Berry and Rebecca Read Berry. I list those names and dates:
Moses C. Berry born December 16, 1827
Francis M. Berry Sept 22, 1830
Jasper C. Berry September 2 1857 (1859) is the correct date – Walnut Grove cemetery lists 1837
John C. Berry, September 10, 1840
Margaret M. Berry December 18, 1815
Nancie M. Berry, December 13, 1820
James R Berry April 25, 1818
William E. Berry, June 21 1823
Rachel R Berry December 25 1834
I also find the following marriage: Benjamin Hester and Rachel R. Berry, was married December 5, 1853

Deaths listed: Frances L. Berry died January 11, 1851
James M. Berry, died October 16, 1843
William E. Berry died June 8, 1879
Rachel Rebecca Hester (Berry) April 12, 1916

“ I remember my father speaking of Uncle Will, Uncle Mose, Uncle James R., and I also remember Uncle Marion visiting at our home.”
[Later she has addendum: “Thanks to a nephew, I now have a copy of the Last Will and Testament of Enoch Berry date Jan 21, 1822, and exhibited in the Butler County on day of November 1822, and partly proven by the oath of William Carson and ... .. Mon Jan 13, 1823 was ... proven by the oath of John Ferguson and ordered to be recorded. This will lists the following children: My oldest son, George Berry, to the heirs of my son Enoch Berry, To my daughter, Nancy Covington, to my son Francis Berry, to my daughter, Jean Thomas, to my daughter Betsy Womack to my daughter Franky Bunch, to my daughter Peggy Womack, to my 4 youngest sons, to wit: Richard Berry, James Berry, John Berry, Presley Berry”

"During my time in the office of the Clerk of the Butler County Court, in Butler County, Kentucky, I found that one George Berry was given an Land Grant for 5,000 acres of land lying on the Dallams Creek in Butler County, Kentucky, for his sevices in the Revolutionary War. I did extensive searching in both Butler County and Logan County and could never find a conveyance from George Berry or his heirs for any of the 5,000 acre tract. Butler County was formed in 1810 from parts of Logan County and Grayson County, so the early records of all of that part of Butler County lying South of Green River would have been in Logan County. I never could find a marriage license having been issued to George Berry in either Butler County or Logan County. This 5,000 acres lying on Dallams Creek is near Berry’s Lick where the Berry’s settled first in Butler County. The community is called Berry’s Lick for this reason: The Berry's settled there and owned land, and there was a well (I have seen the location) that produced salt water. IN the early days salt produced at that location was sold to merchants from as far away as Nashville, Tennessee. The deer would come there to lick the salt, hence the name. "

That is all I have been able to transcribe thus far, nor do I have her documentation so I will not be able to provide anyone with copies of proof, but hope this is of help as to where to start looking!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AKSouth40MC 1029249908000 
@@swayne@kyis... 1053961961000 
AndreaSouth 1061568552000 
@@swayne@kyis... 1061693749000 
Karolyn and J... 1554466784000 
LadyKristine 1335633178000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic