Below is a list of TEN potentially unrelated Brown families that were in Bedford Co., VA in the 1700s and/or 1800s. If anyone has evidence that two or more of these Brown families were actually related to one another, please post that information here. Thanks.
1) Joseph Brown, whose sons included a Hezekiah Brown.
UPDATE: It now seems certain that the Hezekiah Brown who was a son of Joseph Brown of Bedford Co., VA was NOT the same Hezekiah Brown whose living male Brown descendant is a member of DNA "Group 6." The Hezekiah Brown in DNA "Group 6" was obviously older, and there is no apparent reason to suspect that these two men named Hezekiah Brown were even related. The older Hezekiah Brown was born in VA, per later censuses, but there is no apparent reason to suspect that he was ever in Bedford Co., VA.
2) DNA "Group 10" (Linar Brown and Thomas Brown, and probably the George Brown who married the Sarah Brown who was a daughter of Linar Brown....and any other Browns who are known by DNA testing to have been members of "Group 10" in Bedford Co., VA)
3) DNA "Group 69" (Daniel Brown "I" married Elizabeth Rudd, Daniel Brown "II" married Lucy, Shadrack Brown married Hannah Mitchell, the younger Shadrack Brown married Tabitha Hall, etc.). DNA "Group 69" has been traced back to the William Brown and his wife Ann who were in Henrico Co., VA in the early-1700s. The connection to the Henry Brown who came to Bedford Co., VA from NJ....as shown by some researchers....is NOT correct.
4) Captain/Doctor Daniel Brown in Bedford Co., VA who married Polly Callaway (this line has a male Brown Y DNA donor, but he took his Y DNA test at Ancestry.com (before they stopped offering the Y test) versus at FTDNA....but I don't believe that the DNA was/is a match to any other known Brown family in Bedford Co., VA). This line apparently traces back to a Richard Brown and his son Walter Brown who lived in Long Island, NY. UPDATE: This may have been part of DNA "Group 34," but more research is needed.
5) The James Brown from PA who married a Jinnet unknown and who fathered a son named Thomas Brown (there is no known Y DNA donor from this line).
Note: I suspect that the Thomas Brown whose Rev. War pension application stated that his father came from PA to Amherst Co., VA....and then to Bedford Co., VA....was the son of this James Brown.
Note: James and Jinnet (unknown) Brown had a daughter who was named Margaret Brown, and that Margaret Brown married William Woody. William and Margaret (Brown) Woody had a daughter who was named Elizabeth Woody, and that Elizabeth Woody married a James Brown who was a son of Linar Brown and his wife (see number 2, above). It does not appear, however, that Linar Brown (DNA "Group 10") was related to the James Brown who married Jinnet.
6) The Marmaduke Brown (a son of a George Brown of Fauquier Co., VA; there is no known Y DNA donor from this line) whose wife Sarah Brown has been confused by some researchers with the wife named Sarah Brown (the widow Mrs. Sarah (Bramlett) Callaway) of Linar Brown of DNA "Group 10."
7) The William Brown who married a Mary unknown and who left his Will in Campbell Co., VA in 1802 (Campbell Co., VA was created from Bedford Co., VA in 1782). Sons of William and Mary included the John Brown (moved to GA) and the Henry Brown who each married a Miss Gaines (apparently members of the same overall Gaines family out of Culpeper Co., VA into which a member of DNA "Group 10" eventually married). This William Brown was a son of Sheldrake Brown....and this William Brown had a brother who was named Sheldrake Brown, Junior (who also moved to GA). I don't believe that any Y DNA donor currently shows his ancestry back to this family.
8) Zachariah Brown, perhaps a son of a John Brown, per one researcher. Zachariah Brown was born in 1759 in VA, and he died in Jackson TN in 1860 (at the age of 101). Zachariah (whose first wife was apparently named Betty) married Suzanna Rippetoe on July 25, 1798 in Amherst County VA. Zachariah and Suzanna Brown had John Brown, Catherine E. Brown and Pleasant W Brown.
9) DNA "Group 40" (Alexander Brown who married Violet Barton....and Alexander's brothers Jesse Brown and Aaron Brown). Note: The above Zachariah Brown in number 8 was associated with an Aaron Brown in Bedford Co., VA, but it is not known if Zachariah Brown was also a member of DNA "Group 40."
10) Henry Brown from NJ (and his son Daniel Brown). I once thought that this was the same family as the Captain Daniel Brown shown above who married Polly Callaway, but I am no longer certain that they were related. Does anyone know? The son of this Henry Brown named Daniel Brown has been confused by some researchers with the above-mentioned Daniel Brown "I" who was a member of DNA "Group 69."