Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Godfrey of 61 Bishopsgate, London, brother of Crooks Godfrey

Replies: 4

Re: Benjamin Godfrey of 61 Bishopsgate, London, brother of Crooks Godfrey

Posted: 1571312386000
Classification: Query
Have a look (if you get a chance) at the presentation, in Power Point and as a pdf, at this link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atu_J3efk5TBhphcwZ33xrg_dYo8WA?e=OswtWh

The main presentation tells what I've found out about the Godfrey family of Benjamin of 61 Bishopsgate since I posted my query. (There is an Appendix in it presenting genealogical speculations about my own family.)

I am still not certain who Benjamin and Crooks Godfrey's parents were. It has been suggested, with some documentation offered, that they are from a family in Essex, England, a family shown in the presentation.

I haven't found yet that there were any were Unionists or suffragettes in the family.

Benjamin Godfrey Windus, Benjamin Godfrey's son in law, was a patron of the arts.

The person most responsible for the success of Godfrey's Cordial, Dr. Benjamin Godfrey, was a public spirited person, as shown by his acts of charity in some of the newspaper articles and advertisements that I cite in the presentation-- where it is reported how he assisted those in trouble with the law.

Perhaps some of his charity is attributable to the Quaker roots of the Essex family of Thomas Godfrey of Hunsdon, the person noted in historical citations as having created the Cordial.

There is an article, The Hunsdon Quakers (a link to which is included in the presentation "Godfrey Cordial Godfreys"), includes a mention of Thomas Godfrey of Hunsdon in the Quaker movement of Hundson, Hertfordshire. I include a snapshot, attached.

As Quakers, they squarely put themselves on the other side of the law in the interest of bettering their brothers and sisters-- setting an example that was likely taken note of and emulated by the unionists and suffragettes who came after.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jockcrawford3... 1535329767000 
Lisa Cook 1571219802000 
MaureenEdna 1571252149000 
Lisa Cook 1571285093000 
jockcrawford3... 1571312386000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic