Talk:World Archives Project: USHMM - Poland, Lodz Ghetto Worker ID Cards, 1939-1944
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
- Some sets crash upon opening. If you get one of these, cancel it, select "The image set has problems that prevent completion." And indicate that you have received an error message. You should be able to work on the remaining ones while the underlying issue is being resolved.
Sample error message:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at KTDataManager.DataManager.u6abhot34bx5uhk(Object ) at KTDataManager.DataManager.GetDocType(Int32 docIndex) at ArbitrateFormType.ArbitrateFormTypeControl.(Object , Int32 ) at ArbitrateFormType.ArbitrateFormTypeControl.(Boolean ) at ArbitrateFormType.ArbitrateFormTypeControl.NotifyNeedsReload() at KeyingTool.MainForm.rtq4k(Object ) at KeyingTool.MainForm.StartNewBatch() at SelectBatch.SelectBatchControl.(Object ) at SelectBatch.SelectBatchControl.(Object , EventArgs ) at SelectBatch.BatchList.2f0my0() at SelectBatch.BatchList.du10(Object , EventArgs )
Extra Keying Helps
Streets within the Łódź Ghetto
The Polish alphabet. Grey indicates letters not used in native words. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_alphabet
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Card backs: Somebody is using 2 lines on each of these, where only one is required. They are putting the "working since year" on a line by itself, and the remainder of the data on the next line. (Is someone trying to inflate their record count?) --Paulmd199 06:15, 30 March 2013 (UTC) Update: this problem is being logged and AWAP has been informed. It should be noted that it also affects your accuracy score as the surplus lines must be deleted, and the year manually entered.--Paulmd199 16:17, 4 April 2013 (UTC)
Card Fronts: Omitting the card date. It is located on the lower left, in a blank reading "Litzmannstadt-Getto, den ______ 194__" --Paulmd199 06:25, 30 March 2013 (UTC)
Family cards: Failure to key them at all. The head of household is in the header, and each family member is listed in the table below. Key one line for each person. --Paulmd199 23:46, 31 March 2013 (UTC)
Diacriticals: key all diacriticals (accent marks). Use the Ñ dialog. --Paulmd199 22:49, 30 March 2013 (UTC)
Typos: check your work. --Paulmd199 22:49, 30 March 2013 (UTC)
Character recognition: the typing in many images is degraded. Some tips:
- In some cases the signature of the cardholder "Unterschrift d. Ausweisinhabers" will be readable when the typing is not.
- Many factory names will contain the word "abteilung" or "fabrik"
- In some cases the factory name will also be located on a stamp.
- A list of street names has been posted on the discussion page. It contains many of the streets you will find.
- Google Translate is a useful tool to check occupations and factory names. (though we will still want them as written)
- The work assignment on the front will often match one of the professions on the back.
--Paulmd199 00:46, 31 March 2013 (UTC)
Lost in Translation: somebody is going through the trouble of translating the fields into English. This is not necessary and will count as an error. --Paulmd199 18:08, 30 March 2013 (UTC)
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.