Talk:World Archives Project: USHMM - Poland, Jews Displaced from Biała Podlaska to Mie̜dzyrzecz Podlaski, 1942
Extra Keying Helps
Stuff to watch for:
- Every so often the children will have a different surname (usually a spelling variant). Look inside the "Dzieci" header for a surname. That will apply specifically to the children.
A Summary of polish grammar can be found here.
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
- Over-reliance on the drop-down lists. The place name lists are missing most of the diacriticals. Do not trust them. A large proportion of the errors I see are omitting the ł in Biała.
- Not keying childrens' details in Dzieci box at bottom of page 1.
- Omitting records (we do key the crossed off children)
- Not keying as seen (no expanding abbreviations), key exactly as written, in exactly the amount of detail as written; don't forget the street address or province when it is present.
- However, we do omit periods (full stops)
- The yes/no questions. The directions for Military obligation, marital status, and child remarks should be read carefully. As the correct input depends on who the question pertains to. The three yes/no questions on page two should always be filled out.
- Nationality is NOT a yes/no question (key as seen)
- Roman numerals: some people have just been automatically replacing every roman numeral they find with the name of the month. That is not correct for the non-month fields. If the field wants plaintext, roman numerals should be keyed as seen.
- V and W: Polish does not use v (with the exception of roman numerals and some foreign words) w makes the v sound. David is a common English name, But in Polish, the name will be spelled Dawid.
- Key years as seen. Do not expand, if it says 37 key 37 not 1937.
- Keying Miedzyrzeca instead of Wysiedleni do Międzyrzeca (and its various spellings) on page 2
- Omitting ów from end of mothers surname when there.
- Omitting diacriticals
- Wrong diacriticals, the most common are below
|correct character||mistaken for|
|ł||t or l|
|ę (e-ogonek)||ȩ (e-cedilla) or g or j|
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
How are roman numerals being keyed in plaintext fields as X11 or XII etc? For consistency can that info be added to the instructions please?
X11 is wrong (Romans used letters), XII would be correct. All the ushmm stuff is protected from editing. I'll have to ask about getting it updated. --Paulmd199 20:52, 2 June 2011 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.