Talk:World Archives Project: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Immigration Records, Special Boards of Inquiry, 1893-1909
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Only change (add section) header for a date change. -- Wiedwoman 21:57, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: Do you list names of relatives who are mentioned in the image but are not arriving immigrants?
- A: No, only the arriving immigrants. -- Wiedwoman 21:56, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
Q: From the field help for Nativity/Origin it seems as though we are meant to choose a country of origin even if ethnicity is provided (i.e. Scotch v Scotland). Is this correct or do we key either country or ethnicity as seen? sub question: Eng. is clearly England or English - do we assume this or key as seen?
- A: Key as seen. If the records shows Hungary and not Hungarian, key Hungary.
- A: 2) If England has been shortened to Eng do not expand but key only Eng. -- Wiedwoman 04:45, 18 December 2011 (UTC)
Q: Another Key-as-seen question: for multiple, named, family members under a single heading, do we assume all have the same last name and ethnicity even though there are not " marks beneath these?
- A: Yes -- Wiedwoman 20:38, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
- A: Per Anna, we would key these list of names under the heading 'City Addresses' (corrected) -- Wiedwoman 04:56, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
Q: Does "Hebrew" count for Nativity/Origin or should it be marked blank?
- A: Yes Hebrew would be keyed and f7'd since it is not on the drop-down list. -- Wiedwoman 14:55, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.