Talk:World Archives Project: Minnesota, State School and Hospital Records
From Ancestry.com WikiFeel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Do not make sections.
Do not key numbers ie: #1 in the suffix box.
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Do not key age if there is a date of birth. -- Wiedwoman 01:09, 12 February 2013 (UTC)
Key birth place as seen without the word County or Co. Mpls Hennipen County Minn would be keyed as Mpls, Hennipen, Minn (NOTE: CORRECT SPELLING IS HENNEPIN!!) True, but if it is shown this way, that is how it should be keyed.
Keying only one page of a two-page image.
Keying nationality for place of birth.
This file shows Winona County at the top of the page.
Lizzie Ebel - lives in Elba and it is in Winona County. Elba is the city and Winona is the County.
Ole Peterson - Winona Co. Winona is the county.
Victoria Kluzik and Henry Lampe - Winona shown alone should be keyed as Winona as the city and Winona as the county. -- Wiedwoman 17:53, 17 February 2013 (UTC)
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: When indexing facing pages, do I index all first page then second page? Or do I index across the entire image, page 1 line 1 then page 2 line 1, page 1 line 2, page 2 line 2, etc?
- A: Index all of left page, top to bottom and then the second page top to bottom. -- Wiedwoman 19:07, 26 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: Under the residence heading, how do I key an entry of "Poorhouse Goodhue"? Do I ignore the word poorhouse and only key Goodhue?
- A: I would key as Goodhue. -- Wiedwoman 23:10, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: Another residence question. The only residence entry is "alms house." Do I put nothing at all for the residence?
- A: I would leave residence blank. -- Wiedwoman 23:31, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: I'm looking at pages from the University of Minnesota Hospital for Crippled and Deformed Children, and there isn't a place on the document to list birth place, but there is a field for nationality. Should I key birth place from nationality?
- A: No, do not enter the Nationality information in the Birth Place field. Annafechter 16:01, 7 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: If the year is not given in the admittance should we key the discharge date also that has a year?
- A: I would key the discharge date if there is no year shown as admittance. -- Wiedwoman 21:10, 9 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: I have a document with the county name at the top of the page. I have been keying that county as the residence county for all records that have no other specific county listed. Should I do this, though, for a city that I know is not in that county, but does not have the correct county listed in the record. Should I key no county, the correct county, or the incorrect county that is on the sheet? (A Minneapolis record on a Goodhue county sheet.)
- A: I leave it blank, but it may be corrected back to that county when it goes through review. -- Wiedwoman 21:10, 9 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: Are we keying alias names (in parenthases)?
- A: no we do not key an alias as there is no alias field. -- Wiedwoman 21:05, 9 February 2013 (UTC) But I would key maiden name with given name.... -- Wiedwoman 17:10, 13 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: I have an image set with five images of the same two pages from a book. The right page is identical each time with one boy's record. The left page is the record of another patient with four sheets of her treatment information glued to the original page in the book. Each scanned image shows a different sheet of her treatment records and the same boy's record. Her name shows up on the first image while all the other needed information about her shows up on the last image. What do I do with this? I keyed the other patient's information from the first image and don't want to key him again from the remaining images.
- A: I've found this also. Lacking any specific direction, I key the name only from the medical report and since the images aren't exact duplicates, I do rekey the image. This is also comes up during review.
Q: How do we key a residence location from an image that has a column titled Residence, but does not designate city or county, while the keying tool has columns for both Resident City and Resident County? There are instances where cities/towns and counties have the same name, but the cities/towns are not necessarily located in the county of the same name.
- A: See image above in common keying errors -- Wiedwoman 17:57, 17 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: I have a list of admissions to the Minnesota Hospital for Insane. Some of the names on the list have been crossed out but in most cases I can still make out the information. Should I key these?
- A: yes. Key the ones you can make out. -- Wiedwoman 02:59, 13 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: On the Minnesota Hospital for the Insane records there is an Admissions Page and a Discharge Page. If a person's name appears on both pages should both be keyed or should only the Admissions Page record be keyed?
- A: If it is the forms I've seen the admissions are on the left side of the page and the discharges on the right side on the page. If it is like this, you will key the whole left side and then go to the right side and key all of the records. -- Wiedwoman 07:13, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: Children's ages (without year of birth) are listed as 15 mos and 11 yrs 8 mos, for example. Do I type as seen or just say 1 and 11?
- A: You would revert to the keying standards, below.
--Paulmd199 06:40, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
Q: if the residence column states "2nd hospital" do we list this as the residence even though it isn't a city? Evidently the persons were transferred from 2nd hospital to the 3rd hospital where they were being admitted.
- A: leave residence blank. -- Wiedwoman 23:20, 15 February 2013 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.