Talk:World Archives Project: Kansas, City and County Census, 1919-1978 (Part 1)
From Ancestry.com WikiFeel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.)
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
Q: Once I have submitted an image set and realize I misinterpreted some information is there any way to recall it to make corrections?
- A: No, sorry there is no way to recall it once it has been submitted. --Wiedwoman 05:47, 31 March 2014 (UTC)
Q: Census entry has Floy & R E Mills. Next entry has Earl & Dale with no surname. Is the correct given name entry "Floy & R E" or just "Floy". Same with "Earl & Dale".
Q: A couple of census entries have "Bros", such as Wineger Bros. Then another has J M Holroyd & Sons. Are these businesses. If they are I will key in given field. But if they are not, I was thinking of keying "Bros" in Given name and Wineger in Surname. With "& Sons" I was thinking of dropping the "& Sons".
A: I found an answer on one of the blogs. Thought would be helpful for others. "In this situation you would mark the Given Name field "blank" and enter 'Wineger' in the Surname field." --Billlinda155 05:54, 15 October 2014 (UTC)
- A: Business names should be entered in the given field. --Wiedwoman 16:44, 16 May 2014 (UTC)
Q: The instructions indicate a keyer can cancel "with problems" an illegible image set. If at review we encounter an image set that is far too illegible for me to key (orig keyer marked image as "image with no data") do I send back for keying or cancel review "with problems". --Rhmaynard 15:16, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
- A: I would reject the set as they did not use the correct form. --Wiedwoman 18:17, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
R: I did that with the first set I ran into. I was just wondering what was happening with the sets cancelled with problems. This project is "Medium" difficulty I'm sure because of the image quality. But some of these are just frankly NOT POSSIBLE to read. I'll just throw back and see what happens. --Rhmaynard 22:14, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
- A: I think that the persons who have access to the cancelled queue will try and read them, but if they can't I don't know what Anna will do with them..... I've been returning the cancelled ones back into the keying queue to see if someone can read them. But if they are cancelled over 5 times they will automatically be sent to the cancelled queue. There are over 30 now that have been returned the maximum amount..... --Wiedwoman 22:24, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
Q: I'm working on a Field Bindweed Schedule and some of the farms are owned by a company rather than an individual. How do I enter this? Would "Atlas Pwd Co." all be entered as the given name and leave the surname blank? Or leave the given name blank and enter all as the surname? My image set is about to expire... its been four days and I would really like an answer to my question please
Q: The only form choices are "no information to key", but I have a census form with names. How do I find the appropriate form?
A: What project are you working on? Have you checked the discussion thread for the project for helpful suggestions?
- A: I have experienced this a couple of times. Try quitting the Keying Tool, and restarting it. Another option would be that not all the data and forms downloaded. In this case you may have to cancel the set. I receive incomplete sets when I download too many files at the same time. --Billlinda155 04:28, 31 August 2014 (UTC)
Q: When I try to use the Image Options to darken the page to make it more legible, a completely different page with completely different information comes up. Is there a trick to the Image Options that I haven't yet tried? These pages are difficult to read, and darkening them just a little would make a world of difference.
- A: I have not experienced this "glitch". Is this still an issue? Annafechter 21:20, 21 August 2014 (UTC)
Q: When you say "Note: While reviewing this project, if you come across an agricultural image that has been keyed, review as normal." does that mean review the names that were keyed as normal, since they are already done, or does it mean change the type to cover page? Sorry if it sounds dumb but they both make sense to me.
- A: Last August(2014) a change was made in the keying instructions after many images were already keyed and in the review queue. The change was to mark an Agricultural form with names on it as "Cover". The instructions to the reviewers were to review however the image set had been keyed. Meaning if it was marked "Cover" that was okay. And if names were keyed, to review it with the names so as not to penalize the keyer presumably. Frankly, however, if it is an Agricultural form and there are lots of corrections to be made, I'm changing it to a "cover" form and moving on. --Rhmaynard 15:34, 5 February 2015 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.