Talk:World Archives Project: California, Spanish Archive Records
From Ancestry.com Wiki
Feel free to add to or edit information in this discussion tab as necessary. Please take time to become familiar with the General Keying Standards and be sure to read all instructions on the main project page. (Please note that in case of a discrepancy, project level instructions always trump general keying standards.) For instructions on posting a message on the wiki refer to this article.
Extra Keying Helps
Common Keying Errors Found by Reviewers
Questions and Answers
If you have a keying question that is not answered on the project page or in any of the information above, click “EDIT” and ask it here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.
1)I have had several printed/typed images entitled Index to Records of Spanish Archives that have the Grantee or Petitioner in the fifth column. My understaning of the project instructions is that we don't key the names on these, therefore I am choosing form type as Index. Is this correct or should they be Cover Page?
- A: Based on the information you have provided I am not sure. Does it look like the image below? The main difference between the two that I can see is that in the Printed Grantee Index the Grantee or Petitioner column is before the Name of Grant column.
Thank you. It is the Index I was talking about. I think I may have done the first couple as Cover pages so I apologize to the reviewer!
2) I am struggling to find a date on some of the 'Original' form types so I am leaving them blank. Is this correct?
- A: Yes, you are correct. If you don't see a year on the page then the Year field would be left empty.
Q: I have just come across my first Printed Grantee Index with names for keying. I have one entry that has two numbers in the Diseno Volume Number and the Diseno Page number on the same line. Do I key a separate line for each?
- A: I want to check with the Content Manager - this means waiting until Monday for an answer. Annafechter 05:13, 30 March 2014 (UTC)
Thank you. So that I can carry on with them I have keyed two lines as it will be easy enough for the reviewers to delete one rather than have to put one in. I have had quite a few now so if I don't submit them they will stack up and I won't be able to download any more to key.
Q: Anna, is there an answer to the above question yet? I have now come across the same issue whilst reviewing and the keyer has only keyed the first line.
- A: I'm reviewing these too. I've added the line to show the different diseno volume number. --Wiedwoman 17:19, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
Q: On the Printed Grantee Index are we keying '&' or 'and'? I thought we never keyed '&' but if that is incorrect then I have done an awful lot wrong! I automatically keyed 'and' as we do on the Tulare County Records and didn't even think about it until I have a review set with '&'.
- A: We should key 'and'. --Wiedwoman 17:19, 1 April 2014 (UTC)
If you have a suggestion or would like to make an addition to the project page, click “EDIT” and post your suggestion here. (If you click on Rich Editor you won't have to worry about formatting your entry.) Then click “WATCH” at the top right on this page and you will be notified via email when an update has been made.