Addison County, Vermont
|This article is a stub. Help us to expand it by contributing your knowledge. For county page guidelines, visit U.S. County Page Content Suggestions.|
Addison is a county in Vermont. It was formed in 1785 from Rutland county. Land records are available from 1774–1926 (county only). For more information, contact the county at 7 Mahady Ct., Middlebury 05753. On the attached map, Addison is located at D3. Presently includes all the towns in Addison County. The town of Orwell became part of Addison District in 1847 from Fair Haven District. Between 1824 and 1962 the northern part of the county constituted the New Haven District. Those records were filed separately but are now located at Addison County Courthouse as well as an index to them and to all remaining records from Addison after 1852. On 25 February 1852 a fire in the courthouse burned the probate records for Addison district (not New Haven). Only fragments remain for Addison Probate District records before 1852. They are available on microfilm in Montpelier, in chronological order, but are extremely difficult to use.
For information about the state of Vermont see Vermont Family History Research.
| Counties of Vermont